82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

removing the smog crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

blackz87, you do know that those wheels and exhaust you have on that IROC make it look like a ....whats the word u use all the time...... oh yeah, a FRANKENCAR. by the way u are always trying to make people feel stupid all the time and act like they dont know anything about cars, but after some of the stupid immature comments ive read from u, i am seriously doubting whether or not you know a whole lot about third gens. lose the attitude, people dont have time for it.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear Member

I'm actually siding with blackz87 here. I think its impressive to have had the same car for nearly 23 years and not have turned it into a piece of crap or let nature get a hold of it. Yea, the rims and exhaust aren't my favorite, but that car looks mint everywhere else. Under the hood looks factory fresh.

Sammy, it seems like you may or may not know some stuff, but 8's in a 3rd gen....I'll need to see some slips and pics of that. That would be a full cage, tubbed, barely a body and pretty damn good for naturally aspirated. Plus, any true engine guy will tell you that "smog crap" isn't the problem on 3rd gens....maybe it was the restrictive heads and say the 8.5:1 compression? I really think its guys like you and mighty mike that give the states/counties/whoever reason for stricter emissions. They know there are people out there half-assing everything and then they feel the need to step in. Someone put the car on a dyno, then pull your smog crap out, then re-dyno it.

I can't believe all the threads and posts on here with people asking how to get more power out of thier 305, 350, 2.8. all with a bazillion miles on it. Are people really thinking that if you gut a cat, or pull some lines off of a cast iron manifold, that car is going to come alive and be a monster? Oh, you can always go cat back, or maybe even cold air intake....wait the chip, how could I have forgotten the chip. Seriously, it takes work, money, skill, and the right parts to make a good powerful car.

I joined this site to get information to help me on a resto, and in return I would give back as much as I could. I've gotten some great advice from some guys, but the vast majority of this and other sites are just clowns thinking they're going to get BBC power out of a car that was never intended to do anything close to it.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IROC-ON
blackz87, you do know that those wheels and exhaust you have on that IROC make it look like a ....whats the word u use all the time...... oh yeah, a FRANKENCAR. by the way u are always trying to make people feel stupid all the time and act like they dont know anything about cars, but after some of the stupid immature comments ive read from u, i am seriously doubting whether or not you know a whole lot about third gens. lose the attitude, people dont have time for it.
Sorry you don't like my Franken car, but thats life. I would like to see some pictures of your crapped out iroc.

Big picture of the wheels & tires you don't have. Also, I do know one thing and that is how to take care of MY IROC-Z...

Additional note: ."u" you, "ive" I have, "i" I...Now that is stupid, you should have paid attention in school.

Last edited by blackz87; 03-16-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by djs383
I'm actually siding with blackz87 here. I think its impressive to have had the same car for nearly 23 years and not have turned it into a piece of crap or let nature get a hold of it. Yea, the rims and exhaust aren't my favorite, but that car looks mint everywhere else. Under the hood looks factory fresh.

Sammy, it seems like you may or may not know some stuff, but 8's in a 3rd gen....I'll need to see some slips and pics of that. That would be a full cage, tubbed, barely a body and pretty damn good for naturally aspirated. Plus, any true engine guy will tell you that "smog crap" isn't the problem on 3rd gens....maybe it was the restrictive heads and say the 8.5:1 compression? I really think its guys like you and mighty mike that give the states/counties/whoever reason for stricter emissions. They know there are people out there half-assing everything and then they feel the need to step in. Someone put the car on a dyno, then pull your smog crap out, then re-dyno it.

I can't believe all the threads and posts on here with people asking how to get more power out of thier 305, 350, 2.8. all with a bazillion miles on it. Are people really thinking that if you gut a cat, or pull some lines off of a cast iron manifold, that car is going to come alive and be a monster? Oh, you can always go cat back, or maybe even cold air intake....wait the chip, how could I have forgotten the chip. Seriously, it takes work, money, skill, and the right parts to make a good powerful car.

I joined this site to get information to help me on a resto, and in return I would give back as much as I could. I've gotten some great advice from some guys, but the vast majority of this and other sites are just clowns thinking they're going to get BBC power out of a car that was never intended to do anything close to it.
like i said b4 im not tryin to remove smog crap. b4 my swap i had a 2.8 with all the smog crap and had 300000+ miles on it. . i swapped my motor and went carb so all i asked is wut wires do i need to keep. than black87 decided that my motor wasnt good enough for him and dissed my stuff. now im not tryin to get BB numbers. i just wanted to clean up my engine bay. hope this help so nextr time u dont have my name in ur mouth.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

LOL! ok guys lets get back to the real point of being here. CAMAROS! All of us have one or two. Now lets maje em run and look good. Everyone has an opinion and everyone has different techniques and methods. Not everyone keeps it stock. I personally don't like stock. I like to modify and feel good about my rides. Who cares what everyone else has. Lets just keep to the subject. The arguing about whos better or whatever is becoming distasteful.

P.S. I do have slips from the drag strip to back my play. But I did notice that I said it was in the 1/4. It was in the 1/8 mile. My apologies people...I am sorry.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Cool on the contrary...

Originally Posted by djs383

I was only trying to give tips on how you could gain alittle horsepower with stock motors I am no stranger to the 3rd gen camaro. I was talking simplicities. I don't have manifolds. I have long tubed headers with a y-pipe. I don't have a stock 305 or 350. I have a GEN I sb 350 crate motor from GM that was gutted the day I got it. Replaced all guts with Lunati. I am talking camshaft, lifters, springs, stainless steel crank, bearings, pistons, titanium rods, valves, double roller racing chain. The intake was replaced with an edelbrock RPM air gap manifold and a 800 cfm electric choke carb with MSD ignition and an aftermarket (made into) cowl induction SS hood. Please carefully read my other threads to verify. I am not talking stock with what I create and what so many others do as well. I was just giving pointers to peps that don't have this type stuff and want just a little more boost in hp on their stock engines. And yes, a cat does kill hp. I ve heard that from so many pros. come on man. work to together and we all can gain more knowledge around here!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

you know blackz, your right. i am sorry you dont like my spelling......thats life, also i thought this was a car website, not an english grammar website. so if thats the best you can do, give it up. the exterior of my car is all original, and is most certainly not "crapped out". but i agree with sammy, we are getting way off track here. so my apologies to you blackz. i need to respect my elders.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear member

i second, apologies. so wheres the slips sammy??? and did u get my message?

Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Mighty mike. Yeah I got your message. It is on the way my man. I just sent it regular mail via: ground. I got a new didtal camera. I am a little illiterate to the didital world still. Sorry. I am trying to learn how to download pictures to my computer and then to the site. I know, I know. Laugh at me. My wife does the ebay thing and is a pro. Shes the one teaching me all this stuff. When I get well rehearsed in this I will be posting a ton of pics. I am very embarrassed. I can build motors and wire a car up from scratch, but I can't download a freakin picture to the computer.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Its too bad this thread got Hijacked. im a part time investor on other forums, and there are always haters on every forum trying to make everyone else miserable.

The original start to this thread was very helpful. I built a pro street 77 stepside chevy luv about 10 years ago, and got rid of it when it was done. too fast, and i had four kids to raise. anyway..

my son just bought an 88 camaro for 800 bucks. 305/700r. got it home and went to pull it in the drive way and fuel was shooting all over under the car. whoom! on fire! i had two hoses on it in less than 30 seconds, and managed to keep the fire to the engine area. he was bummed. only 18, first car. the v8 has been removed, engine area detailed, and we just put it back in today after transfering all wiring, cables, heater, wiper motor, etc.. its been only three days.

so the "dormant car guy" raised his head and stepped in. the seller had a donor car, an 84 v6. basically we got all the crap we need. but here is where this comes to this thread....

Sammy, if you could be just a bit more specific on the computer removal. Does the ignition wiring still function without the computer and sensors? I did notice when we installed the donor wiring harness that there were only two large plugs that went to the computer on one of the harnesses, the drivers side harness. in that same harness there was another set that went on, as well as many other sets that did not go to the computer. so my guess is that maybe all the sensor crap might trigger an "engine" light if needed, but upon removal, that would be the worst of it?!? a comment on this would be helpful. thanx in advance.

dave