82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Push Gas Pedal, I Go 2mph Lurching

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 AM
Default Push Gas Pedal, I Go 2mph Lurching

So I bought a 90 Camaro Iroc that had been sitting for some time. The guy said he had to replace the fuel pump and strainers etc. Got the car, drove it 250 miles with no issues. Then the next day, it would crank but not start. Started right up with starter fluid sprayed into the TBI but was idling a bit strange. Drove it a mile down the street and got up to about 50mph and the engine cut off. So i rolled to side and put it in park. Started it up and drove another half mile and the engine cut off again. Now the car will not start without starter fluid and idles extremely rough and when I press gas peddle I pretty much go nowhere and sometimes it kills the engine. It sounds like a lawnmower. If I spray alot of starter fluid in TBI, it starts right up and will have good power to the pedal for about 20 feet then go back to no power. Any Ideas?

Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

change fuel filter. when you take it out dump the contents into a clear container so you can see whats in it. if its all full of rust and or water then your gas tank is in need of cleanin or replacing.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by craby
change fuel filter. when you take it out dump the contents into a clear container so you can see whats in it. if its all full of rust and or water then your gas tank is in need of cleanin or replacing.
Thanks Ill try that out today.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

be sure to empty from the tank side where the gunk will be.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:14 PM

be sure to empty from the tank side where the gunk will be.
This is what the old filter looked like:
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...s/IMG_0574.jpg

It had all kind of brown crap empty out of it but I did not see any signs of rust. So after installing the new filter, the car started up but it has a crappy idle. I drove it down the street and it had power but not alot. When I pushed on the pedal, the car hesitates a bit then throttles up but backfires. So there is still something wrong obviously. However it does have a huge increase of functionality over yesterday. The car still does not have enough power to drive normally on the street and it has a huge loping sound. I am pretty sure the previous owner screwed up the TPS also because the pins from the harness that plugs into the TPS and IAC look terrible and are loose. The backfiring may have something to do with an exhaust leak or the O2 sensor hanging issue that I posted here:
https://camaroforums.com/forum/v8-te...headers-68046/

Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

see how brown the fuel was, thats rust, i would bet the strainer is pluged inside the tank, is this thottle body injected? with that kind of fuel you may have a pluged injector.

Name:  IMG_0574.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  316.9 KB

Last edited by craby; 02-20-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:55 PM

see how brown the fuel was, thats rust, i would bet the strainer is pluged inside the tank, is this thottle body injected? with that kind of fuel you may have a pluged injector.

Yeah its possible but when we took the filter off the gas coming out of the tank was clear with no contaminents. The PO said he replace the pump and strainer etc. 3 weeks ago.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 PM

And yes its fuel injected

Old 02-20-2012, 02:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

probly should see what your fuel pressure is. make sure the pressure is getting to the injectors. may get away with some injector cleaner in the fuel, be better to send the injectors in to a injector shop to be cleaned and flow tested. have you pulled a few plugs to see if there fouled (black)

Old 02-20-2012, 02:43 PM

probly should see what your fuel pressure is. make sure the pressure is getting to the injectors. may get away with some injector cleaner in the fuel, be better to send the injectors in to a injector shop to be cleaned and flow tested. have you pulled a few plugs to see if there fouled (black)
Yeah i replaced plugs and half were black or fouled. Ill pull injectors

Quick Reply: Push Gas Pedal, I Go 2mph Lurching