82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

passenger seat's recliner won't lock in place

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Default passenger seat's recliner won't lock in place

Hello,
I'm new here at Camaro forums, I will intoduce myself, my name is Erik and I live in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I have a 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Z28e V8, and I have a couple of problems with the car I hope some of the members can help me out here with some advice.

problem number 1: The passenger seat recliner won't lock in place, it wil go from front to back, just not locking when in back position.

problem number 2: I have read a lot about knocking problems with camaro's, but with all of them the knocking gets worse when they accelerate, the knocking in my car goes away when accelerating en sounds normal when driving, it just gives a knocking sound while running idle. ( oil pressure is normal btw ).

problem number 3: My temp. gauge is going skyhigh, even with a cold engine, could it be a sensor?

Is there a possibilty that problem number 2 and 3 are related?

If anybody has some answers or suggestions for me, It will be greatly appreciated

greetz Erik

Old 10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

knocking that goes away at speed is usually caused by a cracked piston. the temp gauge reading high when the engine is still warming up inidcates there is an air bubble in the system and needs bled, then find out why there is air in it. for the seat, look under it and make sure there isnt trash stuck in the latch. also check the spring that holds the latch in place

Old 11-02-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by microkid
knocking that goes away at speed is usually caused by a cracked piston. the temp gauge reading high when the engine is still warming up inidcates there is an air bubble in the system and needs bled, then find out why there is air in it. for the seat, look under it and make sure there isnt trash stuck in the latch. also check the spring that holds the latch in place
Thanks for your answer, Microkid! The weird thing is, when the engine is cold, it doesn't make any strange noises, even at idle. It sounds like it should, but after driving for a while, and when the engine has reached a normal working temperature, then the knocking begins, only at idle. The air bubble is also a good clue, i'll look into that.
about the seats, I have serious doubt that the seats in my Camaro are original seats, maybe that's why they don't lock, becouse the mechanism isn't the same, I'll look into that also.

I'll keep you postet, thanks for your help!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Hey,

Unlike I stated in my former post, not only the recliner from the passenger seat, but the driver seat aswell won't lock in place ( I have the car for a short time and only checked the passenger seat ). I read on another forum that the recliners of the front seats in camaro's from the third generation are suppost to stay lose ( back and forth without using the handles on the chair ), they should snap/click in to the upright position when the car is breaking real fast or when the car is tilting from behind. Have anybody hearded of this and is it true or is this bs? If it's true, there should be something mentioned about this somewere on the internet on a official GM site, but i can't find any information, and my car has to pass the road legal inspection here in Holland. The official mechanic who does this inspection doesn't believe this " story" and will not give his ok ( so now I can't use the car ), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anybody has some information ( and prefferbly a web adress or official commentairy ) about this, I would really be helped out!!! Thanks in advance,

Greetings Erik

Last edited by finnie; 11-09-2011 at 01:32 PM.