82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

no start issuse and is not making any sense

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by danyoung87
I have a 91 z28 5.7 tune port, it has been bored and camed. Built for 1/4 mile, roll cage and all. Built from the ground up. Most parts on it are aftermarket proformance. It will not start under its own power. I can pray either in it and it will start and run, not for very long and does not run well. Does not sound like its missing thou. Just running rough and ideling up and down. It will not start without being eithered. Sounds like a fuel issue right......But its not. I have replaced the fuel pump, even thou it has had constant and correct fuel pressure. I also replaced the ignition control module, cap and rotor, coolant temp sensor, redone the intake gaskets and cleaned the injectors, and replaced the key and switch. I have noid lighted the injectors, I have tested the compression on one clyinder and it was good. It turnes over really good. The problem just don't make sense, seeing as it will start and run on either, but not on its own. I'm a diesel/auto mechanic so I have covered the basics, I.E fuses, battery, vats. Any advice would be great. I'm at a wall here........
I see you used a noid light on the injector connectors but did you do an ohm check on the actual injectors? A few may have shorted out hence not giving fuel.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM

Ahh just saw that you said it runs fine once started and you throttle it. If the injectors were shorted, you wouldnt get very far....But yeah now it does sound like an electrical/sensor issue.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

check fuel pressure, should be about 45 psi. when its running, how is the power, fuel consumption, coolant temps? the hypertech chips are junk, mostly just an altered fuel curve or timing curve. try getting a stock ecm for the car and see how it runs, or get a custom chip burned from PCMforless if you know what the mods are. if can, check the timing as that will cause idle issues like you described. low fuel pressure or a lean condition can cause a bad idle, which will make it run warm and get good gas mileage