82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

my camaro v8 built need your help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Default my camaro v8 built need your help

Ok with the Trans am going into paint i can work on the Camaro again, now i know all the info is here but from your exp or knowledge i want your input on my next project. i have a 87 t top v6 that has a bad motor great body for a Illinois car, now my brother went and bought a 92 z car that had way to much floor rot. what i want to do is strip the power parts and put them on my 87. so the rear end, motor and tranny. are there any other parts that i am going to need? i really dont want to have to have all the computer crap hooked up just as the gauges worked i am happy, what are some options i have there{ all the sensors and bs that i would have to deal with} or should i bolt the 92 motor in it and hook it up back the way it should be? i just really want the factory gauges to work so i guess that is a big question of mine to hook up stock or just put the v8 in and go. and the rear end swap is there anything i am forgetting that i will need to do in my swap, i not going to the strip but want to built a awesome camaro!

thanks

Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

as far as the gauges go, they should work. you will need to put the computer in from the 92, which will require either some sort of bypass for the key, or replace the ignition switch. also, what rear is already in the 87 (gears, posi?) and find out if its worth putting the other rear in it. you are going to need to transplant the wiring harness too, so make sure you label everything during tear down. it would be tough if its your first project as there are a lot of subtle differences between the 2 cars. yes, everything fits physicly, but i think the 92 has the possibility of the trans being computer controlled, im not so sure. you can use the trans from the v6, but you will have the change the governor so the shift points will be correct.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by microkid
as far as the gauges go, they should work. you will need to put the computer in from the 92, which will require either some sort of bypass for the key, or replace the ignition switch. also, what rear is already in the 87 (gears, posi?) and find out if its worth putting the other rear in it. you are going to need to transplant the wiring harness too, so make sure you label everything during tear down. it would be tough if its your first project as there are a lot of subtle differences between the 2 cars. yes, everything fits physicly, but i think the 92 has the possibility of the trans being computer controlled, im not so sure. you can use the trans from the v6, but you will have the change the governor so the shift points will be correct.
the 87 is a one leg, and from what i hear that the z rear end will have more splines. when you say bypass the key how would i go about doing that and how do i know if the tranny was computer controlled. i am using the tranny from the z because i dont have the one for the 87 anymore. where can i find the computer on the car. the job seem straight foward from one car to another but i guess i will have more time in it.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Default 87 V-6 to 92 V-8 swap

Don't forget that the v6 motor mounts are not in the correct location for the v8. They are the same, and you can use them, but they need to be moved forward, the factory holes for the v8 mounts are about 4inchs in front of the v6 mounts. Relocating the mounts can be tricky depending on if you can get to the nuts that are inside the cross-member. If you have problems let me know, I'll tell you how or give you alternatives. Now, about the tranny, the 87 is probaly the 200R4 the 92 is a 700R4 they are the same overall length and the torque-arm will bolt, as for the shift points, it should shift the same as it did in the 92 regardless of the rear end gearing. You really should use all of the wiring harness from all of the components you swap, that will limit the amount of deviations from the original as possible. 92 was the first and only 3rd gen that was speed- density and not mass-airflow, they are NOT interchangable. The 92 also has an electronic speedo, the 87 is mechanical, so if you use the 92 tranny you may have to buy the converter.There are a few other cosiderations, but that should get you started.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 PM

thanks for the input! when you say "speed- density and not mass-airflow" what do you mean

thanks

Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by 92 BBC Z
Don't forget that the v6 motor mounts are not in the correct location for the v8. They are the same, and you can use them, but they need to be moved forward, the factory holes for the v8 mounts are about 4inchs in front of the v6 mounts. Relocating the mounts can be tricky depending on if you can get to the nuts that are inside the cross-member. If you have problems let me know, I'll tell you how or give you alternatives. Now, about the tranny, the 87 is probaly the 200R4 the 92 is a 700R4 they are the same overall length and the torque-arm will bolt, as for the shift points, it should shift the same as it did in the 92 regardless of the rear end gearing. You really should use all of the wiring harness from all of the components you swap, that will limit the amount of deviations from the original as possible. 92 was the first and only 3rd gen that was speed- density and not mass-airflow, they are NOT interchangable. The 92 also has an electronic speedo, the 87 is mechanical, so if you use the 92 tranny you may have to buy the converter.There are a few other cosiderations, but that should get you started.
the 87 should also have the 700 and not the 200.....

Old 04-21-2009, 05:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes

bypassing the key means that the 92 computer probably has a VATS (vehicle anti theft system) on it. most Z's after '89 had it. it uses a resistor in the key itself that is specific to the chip in the engine computer prom. wrong or missing key resistor = no fuel from the injectors. if you have the chance, take the whole steering column from the donor car while you are removing the rest of the harness. this will help with other wiring hook ups anyway. just be careful not to discharge the airbag in the process!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

its going to be difficult to do because of the amount of items needed to be changed. i forgot about the trans using a vss instead of a cable. that means you either have to swap that out of the tranny, or swapping the guages from the 92 into the 87. probably the easiest thing to do is to take the entire computer, wiring harness, drivetrain, ignition switch, gauges, and all associated parts and swap them.