82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

My Camaro iS Dying Pls Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Default My Camaro iS Dying Pls Help

I can't figure out what happened to my car [91 Cam 5 Speed RS]. I just got it out of the shop yesterdai. My brakes went out on me as I was driving, thank god I wasn't really going at it (i was in a residential area so I was just cruisin). Figured out it was the master cylinder. Got that replaced. I had my girlfriend drive it for a week and she was complaining there was a loss of torque when she goes into gear. I felt it just after my breaks went out but not this bad. I really didn't bother to care what she said since I figure it had to do with something on the brakes (didn't know how but just thought it would). Now that the Master Cyl is replaced it's still a lot slower. Two things came to my mind. Clutch....or Cap and Rotor. If it was my clutch wouldn't the gears go out first one by one before the whole clutch entirely? It just seems every gear is pretty messed up.

When I push down on the gas it's taking more RPMS to get anywhere but now it's to the point that it won't even go any faster (basically redlining just to go a couple feet. I figure it is the clutch but now todai every time i start my car the engine is knockin. Sounds like a rod or something knockin right by the underdrive pulley and I can't figure it out. This is my first domestic. Maibe something is loose? Can't be a rod and I just got my oil change. I don't know. But I was thinking if anyone knew maibe it would be one of any of you guys. I really don't know much about Doms but like to learn more.

Anyways thanks for your help ahead of time.

I think i'm just going to park it for now. I just started it and it started knocking even louder so I turned it off. But it's not good.

It's a Clicking knocking sound. Sounds louder towards the bottom of the car. I'm starting to think more and more its' my clutch. But i would like to make sure. Any help would be great.

And if anyone could give me a better description of my car that would be great. I know its' a 305 V8 but thats about it. Need a little bit more spec.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: My Camaro iS Dying Pls Help

Do you have any resistance in your clutch pedal? and if so does the sound deminish when pedal is depressed? its quite possible the clutch disc shifted in the pressure plate? or the disc exploded, rear main bearing? or you losing any oil out the rear seal? cant imagine you threw a rod? or lost the bottom end without hardly a warning, unless you walked the crankshaft out? take a look at the balancer and see if its not inline. also you could pull the plugs and spin her over, check compression and see if you lost one or more. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Tech Droid
Default RE: My Camaro iS Dying Pls Help

The clutch and transmission are separate items and one breaking does not affect the other, unless you damage the transmission main shaft which keeps the clutch disk in place. The fact that the revs go up and the car moves, but does not accelerate in sync with the revs, is a good indicator that the clutch is not holding. Could be that clutch linkage (hydraulic or mechanical) is not allowing the clutch to engage fully, or that the clutch itself is worn out or broken. If the transmission were broken, the car would not move at all, or only move in certain gears. From your description, the knocking noise could be from anywhere. You need to find out exactly where the noise is coming from. I suggest you purchase a service manual for your car, and see how things work.