82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

I'm at a loss 92Z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Default I'm at a loss 92Z28

I bought a 92z28 5.7 very clean but won't start it was turning over now it won't do that and the battery is at full charge I've cleaned each injector replaced fuel filter spark plugs distributor cap rotor button ignition module and coil. I'm getting fuel to the rail . The service engine soon light stays on and I'm getting 12 on the code and inflatable airbag light blinks 7 times and stays on and security light comes on when key is turned on but then goes out. I'm stumped

Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Service engine light and code 12 (no ignition pulse) is normal, since the engine isn't running. When you say it's not turning over, that means nothing happens with the turn of the key, or maybe just a click at the starter. Is that what's happening?

Old 10-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Service engine light and code 12 (no ignition pulse) is normal, since the engine isn't running. When you say it's not turning over, that means nothing happens with the turn of the key, or maybe just a click at the starter. Is that what's happening?
It was turning over . Starter engaged motor rotates but does it real fast I sprayed some starter fluid in it and it made an attempt and firing off but that's it then the starter stopped engaging and all I get is a click

Last edited by Marc Pierce; 10-06-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Not finished
Old 10-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Check your fuel pressure, poor fuel supply may have been the first issue. But the starter is something different, it may have burned out, or it's a bad connection. I'd first start by removing and cleaning the connections at the solenoid and battery.

Old 10-06-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Check your fuel pressure, poor fuel supply may have been the first issue. But the starter is something different, it may have burned out, or it's a bad connection. I'd first start by removing and cleaning the connections at the solenoid and battery.
Ok did that and it is back to normal. Turning over and not running. Its getting the right fuel pressure. I put starter fluid in it and it attempted to run for a split second

Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Then you want to check to see if your injectors are getting a pulse signal from the computer: How to check fuel injector pulse using a noid light | Engine Misfire

Old 10-08-2015, 05:33 AM
4th Gear Member

Injector fuses, one per side, blown?
Or maybe needing reseated in socket?
Or faulty fuel injector power relay?

Injectors get battery power to one wire, black, I believe, and the other wire comes from PCM/ECM and CM places a low on this wire, if
ign pulse is received from distributor.

You may want to externally charge battery while it sets.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Default Got it

Originally Posted by Everett#2390

Injectors get battery power to one wire, black, I believe, and the other wire comes from PCM/ECM and CM places a low on this wire, if

Pickup coil was the culprit I'm about to put in new one and I'll let you know how it goes thanks again you have no idea how much I appreciate the help

Old 10-09-2015, 02:05 AM
Default Quick question

Originally Posted by Everett#2390

On the new pickup coil it came with tape wrapped around the coil windings do I take that off

Old 10-09-2015, 05:56 AM
4th Gear Member

If tape looks permanent, leave it on.
If it looks like shipping tape used for protection, take it off.

Quick Reply: I'm at a loss 92Z28