82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Help me please, I am 14.5 and don't know anything

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Default Help me please, I am 14.5 and don't know anything

Hey, my name is Ben, I'm am 14.5 (don't forget the half), and live in Wisconsin. I being the super intelligent person I am have always been into sports cars although I do live in Wisconsin. I recently have grown up and gotten into bikes (I want a zx-14)(Right now have a Seca 400 ). I am at least mature enough to realize that I will not be able to drive my lil 400 during winter and that I will not be able to keep up with traffic as well. I have been looking for cars on craigslist and have noticed tons of camaros in my price range. I kinda like the way they look and the 305 and 350 V-8s reeeeaaaaallllllly catch my attention. I WANNA GO FAST . Downside is that they are Front-Engine RWD cars that have a severe forward weight bias and a V-8. Anyways, to get to the point, I was wondering if I could drive a third or fourth generation camaro in the winter. Including the addition of aggressive winter treads and a 15.5 year old with a very light foot

Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Droid

People have been driving front engine rear drive cars in winter since cars were first made. You need to use good judgement and with practice you should have no problem. Good winter tires front & rear are a big help in stopping & starting, but don't do much for cornering. Know your limits and the car's limits. Just keep in mind that one of the most dangerous things on the road is a teen-ager driving a Camaro.

Last edited by z28pete; 11-11-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
ATM
3rd Gear Member

Not to mention the insurance. You can afford the car, but can you afford the insurance?

Old 11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
You keep some good snow tires on it and drive very carefully, and you will manage, I think. But for the cost of those snow tires, just buy a Chevette or whatever beater you can find instead.

After all, no matter how careful you are, you can't ever really count on the other idiots being the same.
Basically, your best bet is to think realistically. You are a new driver or will be, and you'll be driving a car that isn't designed for snow and ice in snow and ice. If that doesn't cause trouble by itself, there are plenty of people out there who have trouble not getting into collisions in good weather, nevermind the conditions you'll see during the winter.

Do you really want to risk losing that car right after you buy it?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by YA,i'm14.....ANDaHALF
Help me please, I am 14.5 and don't know anything
Don't worry,buy the time you're 17 you'll know everything about anything.

(JK,that was just a little inside joke any parent with a 17 yo can relate to.)

As for a Camaro in the Winter,well when I was a kid there were few choices besides RWD cars,a VW bug was about the best thing in the snow besides a 4X4 but most of us wanted muscle cars like you apparently do.
I'll just give you my 2cts,I started out with an old Dodge pickup and it was a good choice for a kid,tough as nails and not too fast.
I eventually got myself a '69 Camaro with a big Corvette 427/4speed but not till I'd been driving for a few years.
If you have your heart set on a Camaro and I can't blame you for that it would be wise to get an RS with a V-6,they have plenty of power for a beginning driver but no so much that traction with good snow tires won't be overcome by a kid that may "WANNA GO FAST " plus you insurance will cost you a lot less.
You can always trade up to a Z28 or SS after a few years and after you've got more experience behind the wheel.
Regardless of how mature you may be at 15.5 years of age it's no substitute for a few years of experience behind the wheel.
There's a huge difference between maturity and experience.
Also between maturity and wisdom which can be a very important attribute when you're behind the wheel of a fast car.
Wisdom can only be achieved over time from years of experience,no need to be in a hurry as it simply can not be rushed.
Any car can get you killed and a fast car can get you killed a lot faster.
You call doll up a V-6 car to be a really sweet ride,just looks at some on this forum.
You do show some maturity beyond your years simply by coming here and asking questions,to start on the road to wisdom listen and hear what answers you get from those that have the experience that only time can allow,some of us have had lots and lots of time lol.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by y2k
don't worry,buy the time you're 17 you'll know everything about anything.

(jk,that was just a little inside joke any parent with a 17 yo can relate to.)

as for a camaro in the winter,well when i was a kid there were few choices besides rwd cars,a vw bug was about the best thing in the snow besides a 4x4 but most of us wanted muscle cars like you apparently do.
I'll just give you my 2cts,i started out with an old dodge pickup and it was a good choice for a kid,tough as nails and not too fast.
I eventually got myself a '69 camaro with a big corvette 427/4speed but not till i'd been driving for a few years.
If you have your heart set on a camaro and i can't blame you for that it would be wise to get an rs with a v-6,they have plenty of power for a beginning driver but no so much that traction with good snow tires won't be overcome by a kid that may "wanna go fast " plus you insurance will cost you a lot less.
You can always trade up to a z28 or ss after a few years and after you've got more experience behind the wheel.
Regardless of how mature you may be at 15.5 years of age it's no substitute for a few years of experience behind the wheel.
There's a huge difference between maturity and experience.
Also between maturity and wisdom which can be a very important attribute when you're behind the wheel of a fast car.
Wisdom can only be achieved over time from years of experience,no need to be in a hurry as it simply can not be rushed.
Any car can get you killed and a fast car can get you killed a lot faster.
You call doll up a v-6 car to be a really sweet ride,just looks at some on this forum.
You do show some maturity beyond your years simply by coming here and asking questions,to start on the road to wisdom listen and hear what answers you get from those that have the experience that only time can allow,some of us have had lots and lots of time lol.

+1+1+1+1

Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ATM
Not to mention the insurance. You can afford the car, but can you afford the insurance?
lol, my first car was my iroc and im now 18 and have had two other cars since, a ford festiva (very fun to screw around in) and a clean lil '98 alero cutlass that were both wrecked by me but my iroc is still in great shape and now my insurance is around 200$ a month lol. life sucks.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

No, a RWD Camaro is not a good choice for a 15 year old in the snow. No matter how light footed you are, you are going to play....you said so with the simple admission of "I wanna go fast" Fishtailing in a RWD car is a RIOT...it also attracts telephone poles and such. Controlling a RWD car takes lots of practice and skill. Controlling a FWD car is much easier. Thast why RWD's are all but gone. You may wanna rethink your plan. Besides, a stock 305 is a dog........you will be very upset. Then you will buy a 350...then exhause, then rear end gears...then....oh man, now Im hooked..I mean you ,not me...not me...I swear......

Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 PM

this is my first winter driving and im driving my 87 iroc around just fine havent been stuck yet. i live in northwest indiana so winters arent exactly all sunny and warm. it has a 350 with all over 400 horsepower with whats done and more to come soon. you just have to take it slow. makes for a great experience and you learn alot. just be careful and you should be fine

Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 PM

and to add, you'll also learn alot about controlling your car. RWD in the winter can tell you alot about yourself as a driver. and how well you can control the power in your car when it starts to come around and if you know what to do when it happens or not