82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

help help help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Default help help help!!

Hi all.

Need some urgent advice/help coz i need my car!

Its a 1991 Z28 305 TPI Auto.

Lately drivin it it has had a little intermittent miss, but this morning about half mile from work it wouldnt accellerate - just bog down under light acceleration and under medium to heavy accelleration it would backfire , and almost stall... however it did idle as soon as you lifted your foot off the pedal, although it idles with a miss.

I went and replaced the leads, plugs, dizzy cap and rotor button, and the fuel filter thinking that would fix, or make it somewhat better, but no, it still exactly the same as it was this morning.

So if anybody has some advice or has had the same issue Or knows where i can read up on it etc let me know please, had to borrow another car to get home tonight and i'd really like to have mine back on the road tomorro!!

Cheers

Ben

Old 09-20-2007, 07:24 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: help help help!!

Clogged cat.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Overdrive Member

No service engine light? You can have your ignition module checked at places like autozone. Is it intermitant?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:07 PM

Thanks guys. More things for me to check tomorrow - the Service Engine soon light hasnt come on - ill try and get it checked for codes and see what comes up. It was an intermittant miss when i bought the car, but got progressivly worse until climaxing this morning!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:25 PM

well. checked for codes, non were there. still doing exactly the same thing - missing slightly at idle and bogs down, backfire, almost dies (but never does) under heavy aceleration, and extreme missing under slight acceleration. Still un-driveable. I checked as many wiring connections as i could find today, to see if anything was knocked loose, everything was tight and proper.

I tried geting the cat off, dropped the tailpaipe and the fornt clamp, but i beleive its seized on, cant move it. The cat had a few small dents in the heat shield, not sure if they got to the cat, or if that can cause my problem.

I checked fuel pump flow, it all seemed ok at the feedpipes, no water in fuel etc.I can hear it buzzing in theback while the motor is idling, its fairly loud, is that normal? other then that it doesnt sound like it has any problem..

I was thinking possibly fuel injectors? only supplying just enough fuel at idle and not anywhere near enough at throttle, causing it to bog down/backfire...is there a way i can test them? my haynes manual is kinda useless with advanced diagnostic stuff.

Any help greatly appreciated -i spent two days now in a dodge ram 2500 and its slow as $%^&!!!

Ben

Old 09-22-2007, 01:10 AM
In the Staging Lanes

well i had an 86 and it did some what the same thing and i cut the cat off and did away with the smog control and it acted normal.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

oh and also i had a 87 mustang gt and it had a bad injector and was dumping to much fuel and at times it would make a loud pop in the engine when excess fuel was dumped when u got on it and it would ignite. it could have to do with the Injectors.