82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

emergency braking problem !!!! car swerves violently left?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default emergency braking problem !!!! car swerves violently left?

hey guys, just bought a 92 rs and im getting it ready for daily driving, one major problem is when i hit the brakes the car swerves left violently like the right front brakecaliper is seized?
could it be air in the line, metering block, seized caliper? i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem before (like is it common), before i start to tear the whole thing apart, thanks guys !

Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: emergency braking problem !!!! car swerves violently left?

Right side caliper not operating. Hose to the caliper collapsed or blocked.

If the pedal is firm, no brake light on, and the fluid is full I'd look to the right front for problems of it not working.

Jack the front end up, us jack stands, and have someone apply the brakes as you spin the front wheels. You'll see the RF not going on. Pull the tire, crack the hose to caliper and see if fluid comes out. This should show the hose is allowing fluid in. Take the caliper off, put a socket or block of wood to stop the piston from popping out, apply the brake, does the piston move? No, caliper is froze up.

Instead of pushing pressure on the brake with the caliper off, us a brake tool or C clamp and try to push the piston back in. If it won't budge with the bleeded cracked, froze up.

If the caliper and hose check out, try cracking the line before the hose, see if fluid comes out. If not, go to the proportioning valve(metering block) and see if there is a problem there.

And also look for someone who crimped a line, or crushed a line to stop a brake leak.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

wow man thanks, i couldn't have asked for a more thorough answer, greatly appreciated !!!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I had a similar problem. I'd brake without holding on to the wheel, and it'd turn about 45 degrees to the left while I stopped. My brakes were due for a complete redo anyway, so I replaced everything. Still had a pull to the left. I replaced the tires, and *suprise!* it fixed the problem a lot. My alignment is off a bit, so I need to have that checked before I worry about it some more, but it's not nearly as bad as it was. I picked up the 82-92 firebird haynes manual (from the library, the camaro was missing...), and it said that a possible cause for a swerve to the left could be loose front suspension, so maybe check that if willie's solutions didn't work.