82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

Deleting Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Default Deleting Emissions

Well I have a 92 Camaro RS anniversary edition with a 305 andI want to delete emissions.
I have someone to do it for me, but he wants me to get the parts.
Can anyone tell me what I need for supplies?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM
Default RE: Deleting Emissions

i think you need an egr block off plate, a grinder to cut off the AIR tubes and someone who can weld the holes shut. then remove the AIR pump and get a shorter belt or the delete pulley if you want. im not sure if it has to be tuned out of your computer though.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:27 AM

well he was saying it was a pretty straightforward procedure, and that I would need plug bolts and possibly some extra hose (if the removed stuff isnt salvagable) He did not say anything about welding, or anything about a plate, and certainly nothing about making the belt shorter.... unless I just cant remember correctly... computer... i definately dont remember anything about that.

bascally, this all stems from a tune-up that I want on the vehicle and the guy is saying that the emissions are in his way and its too hard to get at the spark plugs.

is there any guides or step by step instructions or a manual or anything like that for doing this anywhere around? it sounds like its going to be too complicated to do without a professional though.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:50 AM
March 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: 92RallySportster

well he was saying it was a pretty straightforward procedure, and that I would need plug bolts and possibly some extra hose (if the removed stuff isnt salvagable) He did not say anything about welding, or anything about a plate, and certainly nothing about making the belt shorter.... unless I just cant remember correctly... computer... i definately dont remember anything about that.

bascally, this all stems from a tune-up that I want on the vehicle and the guy is saying that the emissions are in his way and its too hard to get at the spark plugs.

is there any guides or step by step instructions or a manual or anything like that for doing this anywhere around? it sounds like its going to be too complicated to do without a professional though.

and you have this guy working on your car? forget him and take it elsewhere. yea its a PITA but you dont just start deleting stuff because somebody is to lazy to do it right..

Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Overdrive Member

Yeah, I would find a new mechanic also.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:36 PM

Ok as for the emission i thnk there about 4 thigns to do
1. there is a EGr on the intake. take it off and purchase a egr blok off plate 13$
2. get rid of line on manifold. i think the nuts are mabye 1 each
3.smog pump on bottom right side. if serpentine belt you will need a shorter one. or buy a pulley to put ther.
4. I cant think of 4 right now. lol sorry
but yes bad mechanic. i changed spark plugs with all that stuff on it

Old 12-06-2008, 10:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell

Why cant he just remove the stuff and put it back when hes done.I wouldnt let him touch your car if I were you.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:36 PM

he has buit his own cars, but i was recently told by my co-worker that he is picky about what he works on.

he is a friend of my co-worker. He was reccommended to me because I have a tight budget.
he asked for like 20 bucks, probably not realizing the work involved. said it would take an hour and a half. I gave him 30 bucks instead, and about 10 minutes later after the hood had been opened, he started having second thoughts.

I guess he usually works on 4 cylendar vehicles... he is kind of hesitant on doing the job now anyways, I dont know if its lack of motivation, lack of confidence, or both.

well i got a new cap and rotor, plugs and wires and it would be a shame to return them but I am not much of a mechanic myself even for the most basic jobs, but I think the labor to have it done normally is out of my expense range.

I would like to remove the emissions as it would be nice to have them removed for the little extra HP and also to make the engine compartment cleaner and more manageable. it just seems like a big can of worms just got opened up.

this is my only vehicle and I use it for work making deliveries. I cant have it out of commission and I need a tune up bad and I cant leave it in parts for any length of time it takes to repair it.

its damn cold out here and there is no place to really work on it either.

do you think its just a matter of having the right tools for the job? perhaps the spark plugs would be easier to reach with some sort of ball socket wratchet extension type tool.

If it has **** or tires, its gunna give you trouble. (sorry ladies)

Old 12-08-2008, 12:59 PM
March 2008 ROTM

that emissions equipment really isnt taking that much power from that already lacking 305. so dont worry about that. any monkey with a wrench can do a cap and rotor. just label the plug wires if you dont know exactly where they go and make sure you know which direction that rotor is pointed.

just leave it on. its illegal to take it off in many areas. even if it isnt in your area thats really going to hurt your resale value.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It sounds like the guy didn't know what he was getting into, mainly the changing of the plugs. The other stuff is easy. I took out the smog stuff on my 91, but strictly for cosmetic reasons. None of that is really in the way of getting to the plugs. Close to half of the plugs need to be reached from under the car anyway.
It won't affect your computer if you do remove the smog pump and related stuff. You'll need a shorter belt. And I cut a section of pipe to replace where the smog pump bolts between the aluminum bracket so that the bracket is still bolted onto the block like it needs to be. The pipe keeps the bracket from snapping, and that bracket needs to stay since it's part of the A/C mounting, unless you don't have A/C. I left the smog tubes on the exhaust manifolds, removed the check valves and capped them off with plumbing caps from the hardware store.

Quick Reply: Deleting Emissions