82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

91 RS Dies, won't restart until cooled. Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 91 RS Dies, won't restart until cooled. Help Please!

Hey guys, have a problem with my 91 Camaro RS 305 TBI.

I have done a lot to this car. When I bought it it was not running. Now it is dying after it gets warm. I can drive it for a while, since its winter, but when the engine gets hot it will hesitate like its not getting fuel intermittently and then die. I try to restart it but it just cranks over. If I leave it for an hour it will start again, but not stay running long. If I leave it overnight I can start it again and drive it until it gets hot again then the same problem.

I am looking into the wiring, relay, and wire harnesses, grounds for the fuel pump currently, so far no problems found. Any ideas?

NEW things on the car.

Throttle body including fuel pressure regulator, and both injectors.
Fuel pump
Spark Plugs
Spark Wires
Cap and Rotor
ICM
CTS
Radiator Fan Motor
Battery

Maybe a few other things as well.

When I first had to get the car running there was a problem with the VATs reading the correct resistance in my key. So I soldered resistors into the line and that fixed the problem. It started and ran just fine since. But now this dying problem. Please help!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You should have added to your other thread, since you're still having the same problem. Starting a new thread is just going to have guys throwing suggestions your way that have already been tried.
With that being said, have you tried replacing the coil yet? A possible overheating coil has been covered earlier, but I don't see it on your replacement list.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The reason for posting a new thread is because it sounds different when it is dying than before. It sounded like a miss before, now it sounds like its not getting fuel. I can delete this one and put in on the old one if you think thats better. The ICM and tune up fixed the miss, but this is different. I did not replace the coil.
I found this afternoon that when I try to crank it it doesn't get any fuel into the TBI.
Still looking at wiring as the pump does come on when I turn the key but not getting it into the TBI. I'm thinking maybe a relay is going bad? Going to look and make sure that the injectors are getting a pulse with a noid light and checking the fuel lines and wiring again.

Last edited by Hockinjm; 01-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you can hear the pump prime with the key on, then the relay is working. That would be enough to at least start the engine initially, as long as fuel is flowing. Have you tried priming the TBI with gas like before?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I tried some starter fluid. ( I didn't have access to gas as it was on the side of the road) And it would start, but only briefly. So there is something going on with the fuel flow, or injector pulse. At least thats what I think...

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Banned

I see you replaced the fuelpump and pressure regulator but did you change the fuel filter? a plugged filter will keep fuel from getting to the injectors as the fuel drains off the filter the contaminants fall off the filter then plug it up again when restarted. oh yea a plugged filter will also kill a new pump

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I did replace the fuel filter before replacing the fuel pump. Also a section of fuel line in front of the filter. It was rusted and leaking.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

was there rust in the old filter? if so could be a rusty tank plugging things up check the sock on the pickup in the tank. somethings stopping the fuel

Old 01-07-2012, 11:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

When I replaced the fuel pump I also replaced the sock on the fuel filter and the rubber connection. The tank looked very clean. It was most likely not the original tank. Looked newer.
The thing that is getting me is that it only does it when the engine gets hot (normal operating temp). Makes me think its wiring or something.

I also checked the oil pressure switch / sensor. Working fine.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hockinjm
When I replaced the fuel pump I also replaced the sock on the fuel filter and the rubber connection. The tank looked very clean. It was most likely not the original tank. Looked newer.
The thing that is getting me is that it only does it when the engine gets hot (normal operating temp). Makes me think its wiring or something.

I also checked the oil pressure switch / sensor. Working fine.
do you live in a warm climate like the desert? when I was a youngter I live in PHX AZ stinking hot desert! cars there would experience vapor lock when the car got warmed up to operating temp underhood temps were very high like 500* anyway the fuel would actually boil in the fuel line and vaporize so no liquid gas would get to the carb and later TBI units. back then we would reroute fuel lines away from heat sources and belive it or not put wooden clothes pis on the fuel line which helped to dissapate the heat in the fuel line. might be worth a buck at the dollar store to see

Quick Reply: 91 RS Dies, won't restart until cooled. Help Please!