82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

91 RS 305 TBI starts, dies, then doesn't restart right away

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 91 RS 305 TBI starts, dies, then doesn't restart right away

Well, I have a mind boggler to me. My car had been running fairly well then one day I started it up to warm it up before driving. I stayed in the garage working on some stuff and my car just died. Just sounded like someone turned the key off. I got in the car, still had all the lights on and the key was still on. Tried to start it up again and it took a few seconds but fired up. Idled fine for about 10 minutes then died again! This time I could not get it restarted. I had to borrow my wife's car and left my camaro sit overnight. The next day it started up strait off and idled for 5 min then died. I restarted it and it idled fine for 20 min, drove it with no problems. Then this morning, again started it, 5 min it died, started it again 10 min it died, with no restart. Then this afternoon tried it again and it started and idled / drove just fine. Really not sure whats going on. Any ideas?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Might be a fuel supply problem. Can you hear the pump prime for a few seconds when you turn the key on, not start? Even if you can, it doesn't mean it's not pump related. A few years back, I had a 91 where the rubber pump to sending unit coupler was deteriorated to where gas was just pumping back into the tank. The pump ran fine, but gas didn't flow. Removing the fuel inlet line at the TBI, putting the end in a container, and turning on the key will help to tell if the pump is pumping. Mine barely dribbled out, even down at the fuel filter. A clogged fuel filter is another possibility, however with almost 120k miles on mine, it still flowed out as fast as it could take it in.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 AM
4th Gear Member

I don't understand why it is idling for 10 minutes even in Alaska

can you idle for 30 seconds and then drive for more than 10-20 minutes?

If so, it's overheating when idling

Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Okay, To answer all questions asked. The fuel pump and filter are actually the first things I replaced when I bought the car 2 months ago. I understand that that doesn't rule out that it could have gone bad already, but it shouldn't be that. I also replaced the black plastic coupler in the tank. When I turn the key on / engine off I do hear the pump prime for about 3 seconds until the relay flips it back off.

To answer Torque is good.
Today I let it idle for 10 min, I drove it for 5 to the gas station, turned it off, filled it up turned the key and it fired right up. Went to the bank, went in for about 5 min, and it started right up. Drove another 10 min down the road and stopped in at another place for about another 5 min, went out, it still started up fine. Then on the way home about 10 min into the drive home, it cut out. I can let it sit for about 15 min then it will start again, but it won't drive for more than 1 mile before shutting off again. I finally had it towed home.

I'm pretty sure it is not overheating. I have replaced the engine temp sensor and the reading was still around 180-200 degrees.

Any other thoughts? What should I check first?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When the engine cuts off, can you still hear the pump run after you turn the key off and right back on?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
When the engine cuts off, can you still hear the pump run after you turn the key off and right back on?
Yes I can.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM
4th Gear Member

are you getting an SES light, if so, have you flashed the code?

can you, along with a "chase vehicle" just go for a 30 minute drive?

when it does die, does it crank the engine when trying to restart?

Have you popped off the air cleaner and tried starter fluid in the TB when it won't start?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
are you getting an SES light, if so, have you flashed the code?

can you, along with a "chase vehicle" just go for a 30 minute drive?

when it does die, does it crank the engine when trying to restart?

Have you popped off the air cleaner and tried starter fluid in the TB when it won't start?

I will try this this afternoon or tomorrow morning and let you know.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hockinjm
I will try this this afternoon or tomorrow morning and let you know.

it's like being a parent or detective. You need to eliminate things to get to the truth.

Is this a heat problem or related to starting cycles

Old 12-28-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Luckily, figuring whether it's a fuel problem or not on a TBI is as easy as a carbureted engine. When my 91 wouldn't start, pouring a little gas down the throat of the TBI fired it right up, then it quit. Bam, fuel supply problem!
Reading over your symptoms again, it sounds like it could be an overheating ignition issue, if it's not a gas problem. Twice I've had an issue with a coil overheating on me and quitting the engine, and it acted just like you described is happening to you. If you find you don't have a gas supply issue, I'd put a new coil on it and see what happens, it's a cheap enough and easy to replace part.

Quick Reply: 91 RS 305 TBI starts, dies, then doesn't restart right away