82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

'89 Camaro with intermittent engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default '89 Camaro with intermittent engine problem

Hey, all.

I own a 1989 IROC Camaro with a 305 V8. The car has been in my ownership for about 4 years now, and since the initial buy, I have seen, addressed, and fixed many issues, including a (part) rebuild of the top end of the motor when an intake gasket finally blew. That being said, most of the kinks and problems this car had when I bought it have been erased. However, there is one problem that is as elusive to me as I have personally seen.

Basically, my problem has something to do with the MAF sensor. My code reader has always relentlessly showed me a code 34, which is 'MAF sensor voltage or frequency low during engine cruise'.

However, the problem is when I start the car up, and try and get it to idle, which confuses me further. The car will not want to idle, and even though I KNOW there are no mechanical issues, it acts like only 6 or so cylinders are actually going off, at least, that's the sound of it. At any moment I attempt to give it gas, it will immediately try to die - if I let off the gas, it will go back to this 'rough idle' around the 600 rpm mark, though it sounds like complete crap. Then, for some reason unbeknownst to me, after a few shut-offs and restarts, it will act normal, and the problem will literally not resurface for about another 6 weeks.

I don't understand this problem. I have replaced the MAF sensor, among other things, including cleaning the first MAF sensor that was in the car. I'm not too savvy with electronics in cars, most of my knowledge comes from small and big block Chevy's from the 60's. Why does this problem only come around sometimes? How the MAF sensor come into play in idle? Note that this type of issue is not present once it sorts itself (i.e. if I'm driving down the road, it will NOT reappear).

Any help or tips are much appreciated, and searching the internet has bore no fruit, and I'm getting frustrated.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

check the wiring for any loose connections to the maf, and check inside the plug itself. sometimes the pins can corrode or come loose. i ran my car accidently for a week without the maf plugged in, and it didnt cause any issues, so it could be something else. if you can, check your fuel pressure. i had an issue that arose when my fuel pressure regulator got stuck internally, and provided way too much fuel. it ran like garbage and would only start wot. what sort of injection is it, tpi?

Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by microkid
check the wiring for any loose connections to the maf, and check inside the plug itself. sometimes the pins can corrode or come loose. i ran my car accidently for a week without the maf plugged in, and it didnt cause any issues, so it could be something else. if you can, check your fuel pressure. i had an issue that arose when my fuel pressure regulator got stuck internally, and provided way too much fuel. it ran like garbage and would only start wot. what sort of injection is it, tpi?
The wiring looks good to the MAF, and the plug. When I replaced the sensor, I cleaned up the plug, too. Thanks, though. The regulator will have to be checked out, I'm sure it's the original one. Though, if something is wrong with that, why does this problem totally go away for weeks on end?

And yes, it is TPI. How does one go about checking the fuel pressure? I believe it should be about 40~50 psi, yes?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah the pressure should be at like 44 psi I believe. You have to get a fuel pressure gauge. Then you screw it onto the schrader valve that is sitting on top of the passanger side fuel rail and see what it's doing. A new fuel pressure regulator from advance is like 43 bux back when I replaced mine. Should still be the same And I don't know where the best place to get a fuel pressure gauge from, might want to check out a harbour freight, if you have one where you're at.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a bunch, draggo. I'll have to go to harbour and see what I can find.