82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

3rd Gen Camaro help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Default 3rd Gen Camaro help!

Hey, my name is Matt, I just joined these forums. I currently reside in Hawaii, and I have been working on a 1992 Camaro Z28 with a LT1 engine swap in it for the past 3 1/2 months. I recently just got everything legalized in the state with the safety and registration. However after driving it for a little bit going slightly uphill on one of the highways my engine started giving out like it wasn't getting any fuel at all, the weird part is that if I pumped the gas pedal then it would provide a little gas to get it going but not very fast. I'm wondering what could have cause this and what I can do to fix it?

Also, my engine has a high knocking sound in it. A couple friends have suggested that it may be the lifters, I'm wondering if this could be the problem or if it is something else. Also if it is the lifters, will hydraulic lifters work for the LT1?

Btw, I'm new to fixing cars and all, I've been gradually learning here and there for the past 3 1/2 months since I have gotten this camaro. Please any insight will help out a lot.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brundieck
Hey, my name is Matt, I just joined these forums. I currently reside in Hawaii, and I have been working on a 1992 Camaro Z28 with a LT1 engine swap in it for the past 3 1/2 months. I recently just got everything legalized in the state with the safety and registration. However after driving it for a little bit going slightly uphill on one of the highways my engine started giving out like it wasn't getting any fuel at all, the weird part is that if I pumped the gas pedal then it would provide a little gas to get it going but not very fast. I'm wondering what could have cause this and what I can do to fix it?

Also, my engine has a high knocking sound in it. A couple friends have suggested that it may be the lifters, I'm wondering if this could be the problem or if it is something else. Also if it is the lifters, will hydraulic lifters work for the LT1?

Btw, I'm new to fixing cars and all, I've been gradually learning here and there for the past 3 1/2 months since I have gotten this camaro. Please any insight will help out a lot.

does it drive ok when your not going uphill? could be many things, try checking or have your Fuel pressure checked

it could be your pump is not strong enough, a blocked fuel filter, or someone that did the swap could have left the old computer hooked up(not likely, but could happen) and that will cause havoc because its not tuned for the LT1

as for the knocking, is it a knock or a ping?(there is a difference) you would pretty much have to visually inspect that,and you are using the proper grade of fuel correct?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM

It has a new computer the old one is gone, we changed the fuel filter and put fuel injector cleaner in it, it seems to have helped a little bit. And it is a ticking sound, I think the valves just need to be adjusted.

I can't find the specs though to adjust the valves though.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brundieck
It has a new computer the old one is gone, we changed the fuel filter and put fuel injector cleaner in it, it seems to have helped a little bit. And it is a ticking sound, I think the valves just need to be adjusted.

I can't find the specs though to adjust the valves though.
let me ask you this, does it have headers? and is the ticking coming from te pass side rear of the engine? alot of LT1's header bolts will back out(my friends fell out) on the back pass side, makes a ticking sound when the bolt is loose

not saying that you shouldnt check your motor, but i would check any loose bolts if you do have headers

Old 09-12-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Caveman305
let me ask you this, does it have headers? and is the ticking coming from te pass side rear of the engine? alot of LT1's header bolts will back out(my friends fell out) on the back pass side, makes a ticking sound when the bolt is loose

not saying that you shouldnt check your motor, but i would check any loose bolts if you do have headers
yes it does have headers, its coming from the driver's side though, can't tell if its coming from the rear or what. That is something we will try to look at.