82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

305 need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Default RE: 305 need help

Ok this was/is the confusing think I have ever dealt with. We did get it running, but not very good yet. Went to get new timing chain and fuel pump. Come home and start putting back together. Find that the sprocket in kit would not fit(bolt holes don't even match). Back to town. Kid went with used sprocket. They can't find a match for it. But order 3 that 1 might work. This car had a different engine put in. They thought it might be an Olds or Buick. I call them back with a few details about engine. They say they have a sprocket and chain that will work. Back to town. Get there and the kit they have is almost the same as the first. The sprocket I have has a GM part no. on it so they start cross checking and making calls. Find out it is a 350 not a 305. Car originally had 305. 1 guy behind counter said it was an Olds. The other guy said it was a Chevy. How the heck do you tell? Right now it sounds like a bunch of gremlins inside with grenades. Knocks bad with a little throttle. Idles ok. Didn't get around to adjusting the timing.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:57 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: 305 need help

Hahaha get a short block!