82-92 V8 Tech V8 Camaro General Topics.

305 to 350 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:34 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
As it sits now, the car is completely stock and has never been modified.

So it looks like I am looking at about $3500 all told? I'm wondering if there is any way to nudge that down a bit- I understand a lot of the components from the 305 will bolt up to a 350, so would it be possible to say, buy a short block instead and just transfer parts over?
What is your actual limit that you are willing to spend???

Also, may we assume that a paid mechanic is needed to perform all the tasks and that maximum dollar figure provided must include labor. That will be the cold reality and will determine if you're looking at a budget rebuild/repair, a complete remanufacture or a swap.

Sometimes desires and realities are differnet because of a silly little detail called finances.

So, to avoid speculation, only you hold the most important piece of information, that is, the actual, real, maximum amount of money you will spend in parts/labor.

Then, we can help you.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'd prefer to keep it under $3500, if possible. I can get more money than that together, in time, although it would likely mean parking the car for another year or two as I will have other things I will need to focus on. I can't say there is an absolute maximum price tag as I will eventually get this car on the road again no matter what. I guess I'm just deal-hunting in the meantime.

I will have to pay someone to do everything. Wish I'd figured that out a year or two ago.

And having thought about it, it wouldn't make sense to buy a short block anyway, 'cause parts would have to be transferred over. Even if it would work perfectly, any savings in parts would be paid for in labour costs.

So, I guess the only real concern I have is to keep it appearing as close to stock as possible- can I keep my valve covers and TPI intake, or will there be problems there?

Edit: Would I need to do anything to my transmission, since any engine I put in it will make its power at different rpms than my 305?

Last edited by Saint Ebony; 10-25-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 AM
4th Gear Member

I just finally noticed that you list your location as Canada. I need an education about something. Are parts there more expensive than in the USA and what about labor?

Also, if you buy something on EBAy do you have to pay some type of import duty or tax?

I don't know the answer to that and it might affect your budget because most here will be using USA based prices of what we see and buy and if Canada is more expensive, then your buying power diminishes more. It might be equal to $3,000 US; who knows???

Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I've had difficulty finding anything related to pricing in Canada, most everything I find is US.

Generally things are more expensive here, although the difference is slowly leveling off along with the difference between your money and ours.

And since we are talking pretty big ticket items here, I would likely have to pay fees to import from the US, although that doesn't mean there is nothing to be had in my own country, of course.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:37 PM
4th Gear Member

http://www.precisionengine.com/rebui...gmc/index.html

$995 gets you a long block

figure around $1,000- $1300 labor to remove your engine, transfer parts, and then reinstall the reman'd long block and then return the core.

Another $200 at least for shipping, $200- $300 for odds and ends (fluids, plugs, wires etc) and you're sitting under $3,000

you set a budget. This is how to get there and come in under budget.

No it's not upgrading to a 350 or more HP but isn't the goal to get back on the road with something reliable and remain under budget?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I figure, as long as the engine's gonna come out in the first place, might as well replace it and have more power to go with. A 350 is always gonna be more interesting than a 305, right?

I am alright with spending more money than my budget, it just means it'll have to wait awhile. It's not like I need it to be back on the road tomorrow, after all.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:30 AM
4th Gear Member

I figure, as long as the engine's gonna come out in the first place, might as well replace it and have more power to go with. A 350 is always gonna be more interesting than a 305, right?

I am alright with spending more money than my budget, it just means it'll have to wait awhile. It's not like I need it to be back on the road tomorrow, after all.
then you answered your own question. I will at least offer a bit of advice, and understand that the advice is worth what I have charged you for it...........

Since you now are set on a 350 or maybe even a 383, you must then decide if you want a known product or are willing to take a risk. There are bunches of 350's for sale that have been pulled from vans, trucks, motor homes, cars etc. There are also motors that have been "freshened up" according to the seller. Just buying a 350 does not mean that it will be better than what you had. So, unless the seller can provide receipts and/or documentation about the condition of the engine they are selling ( freshened up or recently rebuilt claims), then assume that you will need to open up the engine that you buy and pay a machine shop/engine rebuilder

or, go the remanufactured or crate engine route which is more money up front but a known entity as opposed to the plethora of 350's for sale out there.

Last edited by torque_is_good; 10-27-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:53 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Thanks for the help, man. I think I will be going with the 350/290- since I can get it from the dealership and save on shipping costs.

Since I am going to have it professionally installed I shouldn't need to worry too much about the supporting parts that microkid mentioned, should I? And then yeah, I am wondering if I can use my TPI intake and the valve covers off the 305. I'm thinking if I can have them cleaned up and powder-coated, it should look pretty nice and (mostly) stock under the hood.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:57 AM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the help, man. I think I will be going with the 350/290- since I can get it from the dealership and save on shipping costs.

Since I am going to have it professionally installed I shouldn't need to worry too much about the supporting parts that microkid mentioned, should I? And then yeah, I am wondering if I can use my TPI intake and the valve covers off the 305. I'm thinking if I can have them cleaned up and powder-coated, it should look pretty nice and (mostly) stock under the hood.
The 290/350 is a great engine for your car. I hope that your swap works out.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:08 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I'll let you know in 6 months, when winter is over

Quick Reply: 305 to 350 swap?