WIRES on the Starter Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Question WIRES on the Starter Solenoid

I need to know what wires are for what that are attached to the starter solenoid. Also are they supposed to be on certain contact points .. Anyone have a wiring diagram?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Default What's wrong?

Ok heres the real problem yesterday as I was reattaching the exhaust manifold/headers one of the wires from the starter was cut. After some splicing and electrical tape they were all reattached.. somehow along the way it became 2 loose red wires they had been previously attached to one another through an insulator. when i went to start the car it made a single click noise coming from the starter then everything including my dome lights went off and i haven't been able to get the car started since. I'm wondering if the the solenoid may have shorted out? Help

Old 05-18-2009, 05:17 PM
2nd Gear member

ok well the big red wires on the starter complete the circuit, so if they are not all connected u will have no power to anything. u should have 2 or 3 red wires that go on the big stud and a kinda thick purple wire that goes on the little stud which is the key.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like u got some wires wrong and blew the fuseable link. its usually on the wire that goes from the battery to the disribution block. its a one time inline fuse so it will have to be replaced and looks like a long lump in the wire. what yr is your car? 8 or 6 cyl?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Red face engine stays running.

i had the same thing happen to me. one red wire burn through because of the manifold touch it. i repaired the wire, started the engine, ran fine but when i turn the key off it kept on running. i had to disconnect the negative cable. i replaced the ignition switch but have same problem. could the solenoid shorted out.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by blue max
i had the same thing happen to me. one red wire burn through because of the manifold touch it. i repaired the wire, started the engine, ran fine but when i turn the key off it kept on running. i had to disconnect the negative cable. i replaced the ignition switch but have same problem. could the solenoid shorted out.
sounds like u connected the wire for the ignition to a constent on instead of a switched. u prob have wires on backwards.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 PM

Okay, I ran all the red solenoid wires back inside the car (to reduce under-hood wire clutter) to a distribution block I put inside my dash, which is powered by a single 8 gauge wire, directly hooked to the positive terminal on my battery. Okay, that said, here is my issue. I put my key in and try to start my 84 Z28 (no computer or sensors - simple oldschool setup) and the ignition wire that goes to my starter registers 0.00 volts. I know my ign switch is getting power because the buzzer works, all my accessories & lights work. I've replaced both the column ign switch as well as the key switch, both brand new, and I'm pretty sure I hooked the 2 plugs back to their harness the same way they came out. I replaced both these switches because I suddenly couldn't crank my car several years ago, one day it cranked fine and didn't respond at all the next. Any ideas? No bad fuses in the fuse block, even took my harness plugs under the hood apart, cleaned the old dielectric grease off the contacts and applied new. I visually see no wire breaks in any wires, and the multimeter I use, when not testing a circuit, wildly displays random numbers, but goes to a solid 0.00v when I hit that switch, as if I was testing the negative terminal with both leads. This tells me the switch isn't relaying pos. power but ground instead.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

im wondering if your solonoid is bad. did u try shorting the solonoid at the starter and see if it turns over. use a screwdriver and use it to connect the post that the battery wire goes to and the post the small wire goes to. it will spark so be ready for that. no gas around stuff like that.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are u sure u have the little wire hooked to the correct side on the solonoid.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

are u getting lights? have u cleaned the battery connections? checked to make sure the starter bolts are tight?

Quick Reply: WIRES on the Starter Solenoid