Someone should get a full post on a v6 to v8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Default Someone should get a full post on a v6 to v8 swap

i no your guys know what your doin out there so one of you or a bunch should replie to this tellin us v6 guy everytihng to do form start to finish.... it would be worth it b/c we wouldnt have to see no more post on how to do it in the main section with only have the infromation

Old 05-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Default RE: Someone should get a full post on a v6 to v8 swap

You Bet!! If you’re looking for an adventure!!!
I took a dead 2.8 out of 85 Camaro out and put in a small block (350CI). What a job!!!
Let me start with the motor mounts. These were the only thing that worked!!!
Borg Warner 5 speed tranny: The 6 cylinder tranny (non world class) has a 14 spline input shaft and is geared lower. … I used old hydraulic truck bell housing with an 86 Astro van clutch, disc, and flywheel. The V-8 Camaro bell housing is at a 13 degree slant which put a 13 degree slant on the tranny and the gear shifter. I had to some special modifications to attached the tranny to the cross member, I also had to cut the shifter handle and weld it at a different angle to clear the center console. It worked, but not well, after lots of hours on the internet this was the only set up that came close to working…I was always grinding gears!!! Don’t waste your time on the 6 cylinder tranny setup. Get the 26 spline World Class 5 speed, the right Camaro bell housing, and flywheel … I got mine off of EBAY!! I pickup the clutches, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing as a set at Auto Zone. It will cost you some bucks but it’s worth it in time and aggravation The 6 cylinder tranny uses regular gear oil the World Class use automatic transmission fluid.
Radiator and Cooling: Change it out with the V-8 Radiator, the hoses go to different side and the V-8 one is a bit thicker due to an extra core for better cooling.. I wired a switch to the electric fan and would turn it on after I watched the aftermarket thermometer reached temperature… after a couple of weeks I installed a relay and a thermo switch in the head on opposite side of the probe of the aftermarket thermometer.
Crossover pipes: The V-8 crossover pipe outputs to the opposite side of the 6 cylinder, be prepared to do some welding modifications so the V-8 crossover pipe will mate with the existing exhaust system …Remember, keep it away from the fuel lines.
Fuel System: My 350 is old school, so the first thing I did, was ripped out the computer, dropped the gas tank and pulled out the electric fuel pump. I also added a small piece of fuel hose to compensate for the length of the mechanical fuel pump which is on the engine.
Fuel lines were also a challenge due to the fact the existing fuel line made their way on the opposite side of the car to the engine compartment. Again, be careful not to get them to close to the exhaust system.
Ignition System: I used a HEI ignition system, finding 12 volts was much of problem, I wired ignition switched 12 volts to the terminal marked Battery. I also used an aftermarket Tachometer and wired it up to the TACH input of the distributor.
Starter: I was able to use the same starter
Front Coil Springs: The V-8 Camaro had heavier duty springs, I’m using the stock ones and I had to replace the struts after a coupe of months , I’m not sure if the extra weight or age took them out, at any rate I’m planning to replace the stock springs with the heavy duty IROC spring soon.
The 6 cylinder Alternator, Power Steering Pump used different mounting brackets and pulleys, the best thing is find a small V-8 block in a wrecking yard and use them..
Can’t think of much else…