no oil pressure after few minutes of running

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Default no oil pressure after few minutes of running

ok i just replaced the crankshaft and rod and main bearings on my 91 RS 3.1. i got the motor back in and it fired right off no problem. took it for a spin around the block no problems except an exhaust leak cause i snapped an exhaust to manifold bolt. but anyways i was driving it afew blocks from my house and my oil pressure dropped to nothing. the oil pump is brand new i replaced it while i was in there. it has pressure at start up but then dies i was looking through every thing to make sure i didnt miss anything and came across a crushed plug that goes to the block on the passenger side. i believe it is a knock sensor but im not sure. would a knock sensor create this kind of problem. any kind of help would be appreciated.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: no oil pressure after few minutes of running

Did you use a standard volum pump and is the pressure higher than before? Maybe all your oil is getting to the top of the motor and not making it back down fast enough.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:30 PM
3rd Gear Member

Possible that your oil pickup fell off. Did it start raping? Try adding another quart to see if the pump volume is too high and the supply of oil is to low. This all being done in the drive way to see, just dont start adding oil. Too much oil you will smoke like crazy. Crankshaft submerged in oil, bad......

Old 09-13-2007, 01:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Did you remember to install the little o-ring that goes under the rear main cap to engine block. I almost forgot it on my rebuild. It fell off when I was washing the bearing saddle.

I'm not sure which plug you are refering to but there is a knock sensor on the pass. rear head. Did you rebuild your entire motor or just replace bearings? Did you have a spun bearing?

Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 PM

i didnt do an entire rebuild on it just the crank and bearings and yes i had a spun bearing and im sure that the pickup is still on there it was a pain in the neck to get in there real tight fit and i tried adding oil and no change. i did remember to put the o ring in there too. all great ideas but nothing seems to be working