ROD NOCK

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Default ROD NOCK

ok guys heres the deal im looking at buying a 1987 2.8 v6 camaro in decent shape except for the fact it has a rod nock.
im just thinking here and i want to comfirm an idea i had to save the motor for a while until i have the resorces to put a 305 in the car.

CAN I REMOVE THE OIL PAN AND CRANK FROM THE CAR, HAVE THE CRANK MACHINED AND PUT OVERSIZED BEARINGS IN TO FIX THE PROBLEM FOR NOW?

if so how hard is it to remove just the crank while the motor sits in the car???

Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: ROD NOCK

I would never even imagine doing it that way. But the thing to think about is if the crank is machinable and the rod(s) may not be in good condition so they will need to come out and that is through the top.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:40 AM
2nd Gear member

You will also have to detach the trans from the engine to remove the flywheelso itmay be easier to just pull the motor and check all the other measurements.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:08 PM

its virtually impossible to doit in the car and youll spend about 2 hours trying to get the oil pan around the crossmember and that will be the worst of your problems. as was said above the flywheel will have to come off which means pulling the motor or trans. i just got done with doing the same thing to my 3.1 and it only takes a few hours to pull the motor. myself and my buddy got it done in about 3.5 hours. your hang ups are going to be on the passenger side manifold to exaust bolts(mine were pretty rusted so i replaced them on both sides while it was out). and the transbolts. i would suggest a 2-3 foot extension and work from the tail housing of the trans. dont forget about the grounds on the back of the block on each side. also mark how the wire harness runs thru the engine or when you put it back in some things wont reach. another thing i did was replace the oil pumpwhile your in there. and you can get a remanufactured crank from autozone for around 165 bucks. just giving some advice on some things i had problems on