Fuel pump runs when car is off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Question Fuel pump runs when car is off?

I am confused! I have a 92 camaro with a v6.
I was under the car the other day and the fuel pump kept coming on. It seems like it pressurizes up and shuts off. Also sometimes when I shut the car off it keeps running for a few seconds. Is this possible? The key is not even in the car! The parts store said change the ECM which I did, but it did not work.
Any ideas?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Tech Droid

Fuel pump relay sticking???

Old 12-09-2010, 11:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

i have the same years and engine. when you turn your car off it will prime the system for the next start and the pump will prime again when you turn the key to the "on" position. are you away from your car does it do it again. like when you turn it off you should hear it but then after a few moments do you hear it again??

Old 12-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I agree with Pete about the relay getting stuck. The pump should not be running constantly if the engine isn't running. Nor should the pump run on at all after the key is turned off.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 PM
2nd Gear member

I have a 92 rs with v8 and it always runs for a few seconds after I turn car off. Doesn't seem like it affected anything cause it's been doing it since I got the car running over 5yrs ago. Bought it with locked up engine.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by carguy68ssrs
I have a 92 rs with v8 and it always runs for a few seconds after I turn car off. Doesn't seem like it affected anything cause it's been doing it since I got the car running over 5yrs ago. Bought it with locked up engine.
Ok, there could be a logical reason for this then, if your "it" that keeps running is the fuel pump . These cars have a redundant fuel pump power supply that flows through the oil pressure switch connection. It's that way in case you have a fuel pump relay failure while the engine is running, then the pump will still get power. Your oil pressure must not be dropping down real fast, or the switch isn't reacting fast enough to instantly kill power to the pump. Not a big deal. On a side note, some people mistakenly think this extra circuit is a safety power cut-off to kill power to the fuel pump after a crash when the engine kills. It's not.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:15 AM
2nd Gear member

You know I remember that Vega's had fuel pump hooked to oil pressure so that if you lost oil pressure, fuel pump would stop also. Probably like you are saying and since sender is seeing residual pressure after shut down pump runs for couple seconds

Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With no oil pressure, the fuel pump will only instantly shut off if the pump relay isn't working....
But a domino effect would eventually kill the pump. An ignition signal (engine running) to the computer is what energizes the fuel pump relay. So once the engine finally locks up and quits from having no oil/pressure, the pump would quit.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 PM

So the relay is the common verdict? I will replace tomorrow and reply back.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 PM

I replaced the relay today and it did no good.
The pump still pops on every few minutes and runs for about 5 seconds.
Any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump runs when car is off?