ECU/Misfire Problem help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Default ECU/Misfire Problem help

I have a 96 camaro 3800 series. I noticed there is a slight misfire when im in a higher gear in lower RPMs. My check engine light came on then went off. So i took it to get the test ran on the computer. well the computer isnt getting any power to power up their machine. Could the computer not getting power cause the misfire? And how do i fix the computers problem without going to the dealer?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:03 PM

i think the 96 uses the obd 1 system... you could just hook up a jumper wire to it... and then you turn the key and your check engine light should flash.... but if that connector isn't working it could be a blown fuse, or short in the wiring somewhere. check all your fuses. there is like 12 holes for the connector, 6 on top and 6 on bottom, the jumper wire would go from number 5 to number 6 on the top. then you turn the key on, don't start the engine. it flash the check engine light in the following way. flash, short pause, flash flash, long pause. that would be a code 12. after it does code 12 two more times it will give you the codes each long pause seperates each code that is stored in the computer.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Droid

You can't flash codes on the 96, it is OBDII. If the computer was not getting any power the engine would not run. Most likely you need new plugs & wires, and possibly some injector cleaner.

Last edited by z28pete; 12-31-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I take it you're saying they couldn't establish a connection with your computer? This may sound strange, but check the fuse to your cigarette lighter/power outlet. I'm not positive about the Camaro OBDI, but some GM vehicles do get power to the OBD port from that same circuit. That would be the cause of your computer not being read, but not the cause of your misfire.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-31-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I take it you're saying they couldn't establish a connection with your computer? This may sound strange, but check the fuse to your cigarette lighter/power outlet. I'm not positive about the Camaro OBDI, but some GM vehicles do get power to the OBD port from that same circuit. That would be the cause of your computer not being read, but not the cause of your misfire.
where is the cigarette loghter fuse? I looked throough all the fuses under the hood in the fuse box and didn't see any thing labled cigarette lighter. Any other place they would have hid it? I called the chevy mech shop and they said the same thing as u.

Last edited by thegad; 01-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
You can't flash codes on the 96, it is OBDII. If the computer was not getting any power the engine would not run. Most likely you need new plugs & wires, and possibly some injector cleaner.
well the guy that tried to do the test said that in the event that the computer looses power the car would fall back to a "base line" of running. He said that's probably why the car was missing and running crapy. Could any of that be true?

Old 01-01-2010, 06:24 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the computer is not getting power the car will not run. the computer tells the coils when to fire either way, in open or closed mode. whens the last time its had plugs or plug wires?

Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by craby
if the computer is not getting power the car will not run. the computer tells the coils when to fire either way, in open or closed mode. whens the last time its had plugs or plug wires?
I dont know i just got the car a month ago. I changed the oil but thats about all.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by thegad
I have a 96 camaro 3800 series. I noticed there is a slight misfire when im in a higher gear in lower RPMs. My check engine light came on then went off. So i took it to get the test ran on the computer. well the computer isnt getting any power to power up their machine. Could the computer not getting power cause the misfire? And how do i fix the computers problem without going to the dealer?
Anyone got any suggestions?
The OBD port gets power (so that it can be read by a scanner) from some power source in the car, and can share the same circuit as other options such as the cig. lighter/power outlet as I previously mentioned. Their inability for their scanner to establish a connection with your computer isn't because of your computer having no power. The connection between the two is your OBD port under the dash. Check ALL your fuses in the fuse panel. Pull each one out and look at them closely if you have to. A fuse could even be good, but have a bad connection where removing and reinstalling can fix it.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The OBD port gets power (so that it can be read by a scanner) from some power source in the car, and can share the same circuit as other options such as the cig. lighter/power outlet as I previously mentioned. Their inability for their scanner to establish a connection with your computer isn't because of your computer having no power. The connection between the two is your OBD port under the dash. Check ALL your fuses in the fuse panel. Pull each one out and look at them closely if you have to. A fuse could even be good, but have a bad connection where removing and reinstalling can fix it.
Yea i went through all of the fuses under the hood in that fuse box, everything looked good. I havnt been back to advanced to have them hook it up sence then. I just got back from a drive to FL for the weekend. It did great. didnt miss any. Check engine light came on and went off a few times but other than that it seemed to do well.... im at a loss.

Quick Reply: ECU/Misfire Problem help