92 rs wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 92 rs wont start

ok my friend has a 92 rs 3.1. we were jumping my car when i suddinly noticed his volts droping. then his car stalled. we tried to start it again and we had no key(it didnt even click) so i got underneath it and stabbed it(screwdriver to the starter) it turned over but did not start. we have spark and fuel pressure. checked all fuses including the vats fuses. im thinking it the vats chip but dont know how to reset it. can plz help. if u think its something else plz post. we need it running asap as its his daily driver. plz thanks

Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear member

ok well heres an update. we bought a new key and lock cylinder and we still dont have ne change in the vichile. does that mean its not the vats then? plz help

Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 AM

check fuse links and fuses

Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

not supposed to jump a car with the motor running. u can charge the other battery but always turn motor off before trying to start dead car. most likely u burnt out the fuse link in the battery wire. should be on a wire coming from the battery to a junction box,may be after box, not the main wire for the starter, its smaller and has a elongated bumb in it. that bump is a one time fuse. need to replace with new one. before u do that check all fuses in the power box under the hood and fuse box inside the car.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
2nd Gear member

checked all fusible links and fuses already. i didnt know about the jumping thing till after it happened...learned the hard way.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Not sure what the "vats" system is but my 89 has the ignition key with a chip in it. Probably the same thing you are talking about but my car had the same problem. I pulled the steering wheel and the ignition switch and after further inspection I found a frayed wire coming from the contacts for the chip. Just a thought, hope this helps.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:58 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

heres a override for the vats. read the instalation instructions theres some info in there.

http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/product...dept%5Fid=1620

Old 06-13-2009, 12:53 PM
2nd Gear member

so u think the module itself is bad?

Old 06-13-2009, 01:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the way the voltage dropped it really sounds like a bad connection somewhere. is there power to the fuse boxs? need to try and track the power to were it stops. if it stops at the vats then its some kind of problem with it. u need to have the guy get a dealer service manual for his car. get em on eb used for reasonalble cost. they cover the yr and model of the car, dont have to deal with all the other yr bs and they cover everything. his car is only one yr older than mine but the cars changed so much i wouldnt trust my book for working with. i can go through it this evening when i have more time and see what i find.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear member

could u plz. cuz i have mine for the 89 but its for the 2.8 with mas air and he has the 3.1 no mass.

Quick Reply: 92 rs wont start