3.1 will only idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:08 PM

Ok, I replaced my injectors and the car runs great now. I even burned the rubber off the tires! I would suggest that you try some stock injectors, the computer in these cars are obviously very picky

Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 PM

Here's my problem:

My '91 Camaro RS with a V6 3.1L will only idle as well. As soon as you push down on the gas, it dies. I have replaced the fuel pump, regulator, fuel filter, and fuel rail.

There is enough pressure at the regulators, not enough at the injectors.

Do you still think the injectors need to be replaced?

Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 AM

Most likely, yes. Unplug the injectors and measure the resistance between the 2 prongs on the injector with an owm meter. If you don't have a meter then remove them and take to parts store, they should help you with that. The measurment should read about 12.5 owms. Anything less than 12 or 13 and more is bad. The computer is very picky. When there is too little resistance that allows more electrical current to flow though the injector. When the computer sees this current it shuts everything down. Basically it is shorting out. Theres some remanufactured injectors on ebay for about $80. Don't try any aftermarket performance injectors as I think that is what the other guy in this thread problem.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:22 PM

well ,all i can say is good luck !!! I have worked on my car the last 4 weekends and have officially "thrown in the towel". After i changed the injectors the car actually ran good for about two days. After that, the more I ran the worse in ran . Then it completely drop a cylinder,Like a burnt valve or blown head gasket. Did a pressure and the #4 cylinder was bad. changed the head the gasket ,now it will not run at all ??? Checked the timing against TDC and it was dead on. After messing with the timing It finally started for a few seconds and now won't start.. The car is officially for sale. I had bought for my son to have a "cool car" for school ,but U wouldn;t let my worst enemy drive this thing. The body on the car in perfect if anyone is interested. It would be a great car to drop in a v-8 . As for me, I'm done with the POS. Good luck to anyone with a camaro with this engine. After lookinbg at 3 forums it is quite apparent that these cars have many problems with the 3.1. It's almost asif GM engineered them to be disposable.
thanks for the all the help

Old 09-05-2010, 10:23 PM

well ,all i can say is good luck !!! I have worked on my car the last 4 weekends and have officially "thrown in the towel". After i changed the injectors the car actually ran good for about two days. After that, the more I ran the worse in ran . Then it completely drop a cylinder,Like a burnt valve or blown head gasket. Did a pressure and the #4 cylinder was bad. changed the head the gasket ,now it will not run at all ??? Checked the timing against TDC and it was dead on. After messing with the timing It finally started for a few seconds and now won't start.. The car is officially for sale. I had bought for my son to have a "cool car" for school ,but U wouldn;t let my worst enemy drive this thing. The body on the car in perfect if anyone is interested. It would be a great car to drop in a v-8 . As for me, I'm done with the POS. Good luck to anyone with a camaro with this engine. After lookinbg at 3 forums it is quite apparent that these cars have many problems with the 3.1. It's almost asif GM engineered them to be disposable.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by cajundude
If I may speak on behalf of your 16 year-old son, please don't throw in the towel. Try to see if you can drop a V8 in it yourself. Trust me. He won't mind driving the family sedan so long as he knows someday in his teenage years he'll have a Camaro to drive.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BigBZ28
Most likely, yes. Unplug the injectors and measure the resistance between the 2 prongs on the injector with an owm meter. If you don't have a meter then remove them and take to parts store, they should help you with that. The measurment should read about 12.5 owms. Anything less than 12 or 13 and more is bad. The computer is very picky. When there is too little resistance that allows more electrical current to flow though the injector. When the computer sees this current it shuts everything down. Basically it is shorting out. Theres some remanufactured injectors on ebay for about $80. Don't try any aftermarket performance injectors as I think that is what the other guy in this thread problem.
My dad has a friend that theorizes it could be the rubber line that joins the pickup tube and the fuel pump inside the gas tank. What do you think? I don't think so. I think it's the injectors thing.

Where did you get your stock injectors from?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 AM

The parts store might be able to test the ign module. I would suggest that you check the resistance of the new injectors. I've had problems with aftermarket injectors in the past on other cars. The specs should be between 12.6 and 11.8 omns. I found a guy on ebay selling used factory injector for the newer model 3.4 liter. They are the same as ours. Not sure if they are any good but for about $16 a set I can't resist trying. He has about 87 of them, you might want to try that if yours test out of range. In fact, if you used performance injectors, you will read that many of them require a performance computer for them to work. If the ecu see too little resistance it will shut it down
You mean, like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Set-6...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Emperor

Yes those exactly. I went cheap on ebay and found a guy with a bunch of used ones. I don't suggest that though. It was suppose to be $16 but when I made the quanity to 6 it charged $5 shipping for each one and the seller would not reply my messeges to change it and combine the shipping. I bought them anyway and never heard from the guy. Not even a thank you. Anyway, I put them in and it ran but was missing on 2 cylinders. 2 of the injector were bad so I mesured the resistance of my old one and put the 2 best if and it has run fine ever since. Those that are $90 are remans and have a warranty so you will be better off. Let me now if it works out

Old 09-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Yes those exactly. I went cheap on ebay and found a guy with a bunch of used ones. I don't suggest that though. It was suppose to be $16 but when I made the quanity to 6 it charged $5 shipping for each one and the seller would not reply my messeges to change it and combine the shipping. I bought them anyway and never heard from the guy. Not even a thank you. Anyway, I put them in and it ran but was missing on 2 cylinders. 2 of the injector were bad so I mesured the resistance of my old one and put the 2 best if and it has run fine ever since. Those that are $90 are remans and have a warranty so you will be better off. Let me now if it works out
Did you see that other theory that my dad had? What do you say about that?

Quick Reply: 3.1 will only idle