3.1 will only idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 PM

i had a friend of mine come over and look at the car and here is what we found as a possible cause. The idle air control valve on the top of the plenum was non functional. It is suppose to move in or out when the key is turned on. Then from what I understand, after the car warms up the vacuum will move the plunger in and out and it is used to adjust the timing ( cuz there us no vacuum advance on the distributor). He also found the passages on the top of the plenum (where the iac valve is mounted) was stopped up with carbon.I have not had time to put a new one ,but will have a new unit on sunday.I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Actually that info is incorrect. The IAC's only porpuse is to allow air to bypass the throttle plate when it is closed so that the engine can idle. Whe the throttle is opened, the IAC closes. The ign. module and computer control timing advance. Your IAC may be bad, but that will not keep the engine from reving. I have tried everything on mine and have yet to find a cure. For the 1st time in my 15+ years working on cars for a living, I think I finally for a problem I can't diagnose. Time to start looking for a V8 ha ha

Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 PM

after searching the internet for hours , I ran across another camaro forum(thirdgen.org) and hit a thread with about 5 people that have the same problem. Seams like this is a common problem and they all have similar fixes. After reading about 100 replys, one guy said that the fuel injectors were bad causing the engine to run lean , which in turn causes low idle and that sets of code 33(bad map) . So , i pulled the plenum and found 4 (out of 6) injectors had 6 ohms or less resistance on the coil. the other 2 read 12 and 11.5 ohms.I am gonna replace all 6 of them. I'll let you know how it turns out

Old 08-05-2010, 01:56 PM

http://www.lindertech.com/dirty_dzn.htm

check this out.

I'm gonna replace my fuel pump when it gets here(it starting to leak down after turning it off)

2 of my injectors read 10 and 9.4 oms so I will probibly get a new set soon. Want to try the pump first but I really think it is the injectors after reading that link

Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 PM

thanks for the info ,here is the site I was telling you about . It's a long thread but lots of interesting reading
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/te...ro-rs-3-a.html
I ordered a set of venom 19lb injectors from JEGS todays . Hopefully i'll have time to install them this weekend and I'll update you later

Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 AM

I changed the fuel injectors and the car now runs. If your car is throwing a code 33 (map sensor) or will start right up then die when you crack the throttle, check the injectors. 4 out of 6 injectors were bad on my car

Old 08-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Thats awsome. I had already planned to do this just waiting for some cash. One question. Can you tell any difference in how it runs with the performance injectors or is it about the same?

Old 08-14-2010, 03:29 PM

after I changed the injectors ,i had trouble keeping it running(idling) after it warmed up it ran good.I was power braking in the shop. I disconnected the battery to clear the code(s) in the ecm and after that it quit running. NOw it would idle and sounds loke its running on 3 cylinders. It is throwing code 33 and 42.I read that these cars have problems with the ignition control module (code 42) so I'm gonna rip it out and bring it back to the parts house and exchange it. I readd somewhere today that the 90-92 f-body had a tsb on bad harness from the map sensor to the ecm. I gonna check that to just for the hell of it.The car is actually "running"rich ,you can smell the gas in the intake. I also checked the tsp , and it is at .75 volts. I'm not sure if this is correct or not. I read in haynes .5 to .6 then I read that .5 to .8 is acceptable. At this point I'm ready to donate the car to myth busters so they can blow it up or something.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 AM

The parts store might be able to test the ign module. I would suggest that you check the resistance of the new injectors. I've had problems with aftermarket injectors in the past on other cars. The specs should be between 12.6 and 11.8 omns. I found a guy on ebay selling used factory injector for the newer model 3.4 liter. They are the same as ours. Not sure if they are any good but for about $16 a set I can't resist trying. He has about 87 of them, you might want to try that if yours test out of range. In fact, if you used performance injectors, you will read that many of them require a performance computer for them to work. If the ecu see too little resistance it will shut it down

Old 08-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Well I received my injectors and they all test pretty good. I will install them when I get back to work on monday. Keep your fingures crossed

Quick Reply: 3.1 will only idle