red lining 700r4

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default red lining 700r4

Everytime I punch my throttle to ya know go fast off the line and make it on time to the places I need to go,when over drive kicks on, the RPMs go in the red.. is this normal?
I always let off the throttle and then it seems to shift right when I do that.
Other wise I feel it would just keep going till it blows.
Any help is appreciated, thanks

Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 PM
4th Gear Member

Depends. Does it shift to OD and immediately go to redline without the speed substantially changing? Shifting into OD should drop the rpm for a split second and then the rpm should rise back up as the speed increases until the car runs out of gearing (redline).

Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Based on your description one of 2 things are happening.

One: you are hanging in 3rd gear too long the the transmission is not up shifting as it should.

This is caused my either low line pressure or low governor pressure. It can be cause by almost any part of the transmission. It could be low fluid, a bad governor a leaking seal or sticking valve. I have fixed this in some cars without pulling the trans but if you are playing the odds I would bet a rebuild/replacement is likely.

Two: you are slipping in Over drive.

Slipping in OD would most likely be time for a new transmission. You could try a transmission service. Sometimes new cleaner fluid and a new filter will extend the life a few thousand miles.

One thing is for sure, Don't run your car hard until you figure it out. If it is low pressure then clutch are more likely to slip and that will over heat the trans. At which point rebuild/replace is the only option.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you.
I have given it a fluid and filter change and also added some lucas conditioner just for laughs, but i don't see much of improvement.
It only red lines when I try to jump off the line.
Or at least i havent really tried the over drive in higher up gears.
Its more of just when I try to get a good start off the line, it goes in the red when it hits over drive and i'm afraid of blowing the tranny.
I also installed a new governor eh

Old 07-23-2017, 01:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

overdrive is 4th gear. sounds like your trans is slipping. does it slip whenever you punch the throttle wide open or just off the line.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

If I am understanding correctly, at WOT it doesn't shift into the next gear until it reaches readline. My IROC did the same thing whether I manually shifted or left it in D. If it's just for a brief moment, then I wouldn't worry too much. Small blocks can take it.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:47 PM
4th Gear Member

Slipping in OD.