is lowering a good ideal

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default is lowering a good ideal

i have a 1991 rs and i was wondring if it is hard to drop my car like an inch and would it make a big defrence .. and would it make it drag more.because i drag on anbout everthing and i all ready cant drop it off the rode.... show me a pictur if ya can

Old 02-01-2007, 09:03 PM
April 2007 ROTM
Default RE: is lowering a good ideal

camaros are low enough i drag alot in my 97 i would not go any lower but its ur call but i would not unless u want a messed up undercarriage or a oil filter missing lower it i hit a speed bump in a 79 camaro and took my oil filter off

Old 02-03-2007, 09:20 AM
4th Gear Member

Lowering is like changing gears, its a fad. My car is at it stock height and it looks good enough to me. I also have to be careful of steep inclines and speed bunps. The botton of my tanny pan shows this. Also have 17" wheels and that improves the look. My opinion.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2696/FAC3B5E2151F43F3A30C9D5AF2DFECC1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Overdrive Member

Do you have the 5.0 in your RS? The RS came with weak springs because the base engine is the 3.1. I had the same problem with my 91 RS 305. I installed a set of Eibach lowering springs and it sits nice without dragging on every bump you hit. The Eibachs are a better progresive rate spring over the stock.

Old 02-07-2007, 01:03 AM
Overdrive Member

Here are pics of the front and rear. It has 245s. I usualy have 255 in the rear but some a-hole at goodyear stole my tires that were ordered.[:@]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4028/21DED865B7E441F5B69F85A7EA066AF9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4028/8E286D6B07A541C5BDF59058237E0832.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-09-2007, 12:46 PM
4th Gear Member

lowering looks good on 3rd & 4th gens imo...

how is changing gears a 'fad'?

Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I was actually wonderinghow changing gears is a fadas well.. Im planning on lowering mine.. If you like to take corners, not only do you get a stiffer setup, but you get a lower center of gravity by an inch or two. And if someone wants to say an inch doesnt make a difference, autocross and then try to tell me the same thing. Changing seats to something that sits lower will even make a difference, and thats just shifting 150 lbs an inch lower, so what Im trying to say is Yes it is worth it.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 AM
In the Staging Lanes

if you're concerned about scraping the road, then no, don't lower your car. if you do want to lower the car for showing off, you could use coilovers (of course, this isn't what coilovers are for, and yeah, i've known that for a while).

if your goal is performance, i would suggest better damping, poly bushings throughout, and some extra stiffening. these cars are on the heavier side and they seem to flex a good bit. with some frame stiffening, they'll provide a much nicer road feel.

the future for my GF's 'maro is a coilover setup and poly bushings all around. intermediately, she will be on some sort of monotube gas-charged dampers in the front and air shocks in the rear.

another place to look would me into swaybars. ideally, they won't change your ride height, and you'll get better cornering performance from your mean machine.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
June 2007 ROTM

just becareful how much since they sit low as it is now. but what tires are you gonna run?

Old 02-16-2007, 12:26 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tacos Z

I was actually wonderinghow changing gears is a fadas well.. Im planning on lowering mine.. If you like to take corners, not only do you get a stiffer setup, but you get a lower center of gravity by an inch or two. And if someone wants to say an inch doesnt make a difference, autocross and then try to tell me the same thing. Changing seats to something that sits lower will even make a difference, and thats just shifting 150 lbs an inch lower, so what Im trying to say is Yes it is worth it.
You were wondering why changing gears & lowering is a Fad. My opinion in the last few years if you read any 3rd or 4th gen Forms all you see are questions by people with no clue asking about changing to lower ratios when they don't even know what is in the car now. Same goes for lowering a car, it has its plus and minus values. At the start of this Post, a new young owner heard that lowering looks good. So he goes ahead on some half- wits advice
and lowers the car to discover he can't drive it without the bottom hitting. So I guess your one of theseFAD followers.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Quick Reply: is lowering a good ideal