Project 1992 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 05:16 PM
Default Project 1992 Camaro RS

ok, so I bought a non-running Car, 305 TBI with 181,000 original miles...2 owners and been here locally in the southwest since birth in Cali. I was told by the 2nd owner they bought it and drove it 11 miles and parked it because it was a project for them as well. It ran, so they say 6 yrs ago. So now I’m purging everything and gonna change fuel filter/ waterpump/ thermostat,pull out the fuel tank and clean/ new fuel pump/fuel filter and change plugs and possibly wires- cap. New battery will be installed too. Transmission oil is bright red and brakes seem fine. What else is recommended before the fuel is added and key is turned. Thanks. BTW... I also will have a new air cleaner/breather filter and pvc valve changed. Did I miss anything?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

I'd pull the sparkplugs out to pour some oil in the cylinders and let it soak in for a day or two so the rings have some lube. I'd also crank it over a bit with the plugs still out to spread it around the cylinder walls (after soak in time). It will smoke when you start it and might even foul a plug but better than a dry start with possibly some stuck rings causing damage. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the valve covers before you crank it over a bit to make sure there are no stuck valves. Best to have two people so you can watch the valves unless you have a remote starter tool hooked up.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:05 PM

Thanks y2k
That’s something worth considering. I’m trying to cover all the bases and I have time. I don’t want to just pour gas and cross fingers she will start. I just finished the coolant system today and the only thing I haven’t replaced was a temp sensor. Passenger side plugs look to be a challenge to get after but I do have swivels and extensions for sockets will try that. Have you ever tried dumping kerosene in the crankcase and spinning the crank by hand. I heard that once but never tried that method. I do know that the car will turn over and that the block isn’t seized. Sounds like it had good compression.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:19 PM

I’m wondering if previous owner ( their not mechanically inclined )
Gave up on Car and let it sit because the fuel gauge read full, I noticed the gauge was reading full and I banged on it while I was under it and it seemed hollow so I disconnected it before the fuel filter , and drained the fuel and didn’t get a lot of fuel pour out. I couldn’t imagine someone buying a car and only driving it 11 miles . Me personally.... I would put on at least 50 miles the first day I bought it.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:31 PM

yes you missed something, strip old undercoating if necessary, paint the floors with epoxy primer and undercoat the floors, that way if it ever makes it into the rust belt, it'll be a survivor