My 86 Sport coupe project thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
attaboy. You're part way there. Did you replace the forward sprag too? How about the sunshell? if you end up with 350 ft pounds of torque or more they will soon be toast.

been there, done that..............
yea i got a TCI sunshell and a TCI forward sprag.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgg4591
yea i got a TCI sunshell and a TCI forward sprag.
Well done

you are doing it the right way

My hunch is that you don't want to toss any old junker of an engine into the car. With a bad economy comes opportunities for those with cash. Real Estate is a bargain as are vehicles and parts. You just need to find distressed buyers. It may seem awful but if you are preapred to react quickly then you can find a bargain. I would go to a few machine shops because chances are you may stumble upon a rebuilt SBC where the owner could not pay and the shop wants to recover their costs.

When I had my SBC rebuilt there was a BBC the machinist had done but the owner couldn't pay. I could have bought it but I wasn't in the market for a BBC at the time.

Look around, there are deals out there on GOOD ENGINES. There is also a lot of junk.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Im going to go with a 383 stroker. Summit has a block with the machine work already done for 650.00. Gonna go with a mild cam and vortec heads. Before i buy the block and start building the engine i want to get the new rear, and finish the suspension so she can sit on all fours again. I also need to get a new master cylinder and replace the front brake lines to get the brakes back.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I got the back end apart and the rear bumper removed. After the bumper reinforcement is replaced all of the frame rust will be eliminated. All that is left is the rust on the bottom of the doors, but they are getting replaced.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

A little update, i got a set of doors off a Firebird at the junkyard for 33 bucks a piece. My Camaro has crank and ****-ems so Im going to do a power window conversion. I ordered a harness off flea bay for 37 bucks shipped, complete with the door boots and switches. Below are a few pics.

My current doors have rust holes through the bottom.

New doors.

There are a few small dings that i will need to fill, as well as a bend in the metal on the passenger door where it looks like someone tried to pry it open near the lock. Im going to hammer it out then fill it. Aside from that NO RUST

Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgg4591
A little update, i got a set of doors off a Firebird at the junkyard for 33 bucks a piece. My Camaro has crank and ****-ems so Im going to do a power window conversion. I ordered a harness off flea bay for 37 bucks shipped, complete with the door boots and switches. Below are a few pics.

There are a few small dings that i will need to fill, as well as a bend in the metal on the passenger door where it looks like someone tried to pry it open near the lock. Im going to hammer it out then fill it. Aside from that NO RUST
it's the little details that always aggravate me. Now you have to get the locks on the doors and hatch to match.

I'm sure you considered it but replace both window motors while you are at it.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
it's the little details that always aggravate me. Now you have to get the locks on the doors and hatch to match.

I'm sure you considered it but replace both window motors while you are at it.
I put on the passenger door today and swapped the lock over. Going to do the driver side tomorrow and maybe start sanding them down for body filler.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Well it was raining all day today and since i don't have a garage i did some stuff inside the house. Got both the knuckles cleaned up and painted.

Cleaned up and primed

Passenger side finished, drivers side is still drying.

Got the passenger door just about done with prep yesterday. Its all filled and sanded. Just need to sand the body filler on the bottom and prime that section, then give it a good wet sanding.

Also my wiring harness for the power window conversion came yesterday. 37 bucks shipped off eBay with switches.

Last edited by mgg4591; 10-27-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I'm going to put this in the projects section (linkable) keep the pics comming. Looking forward to following this thread.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Just a little update. I may be getting full time job at a dealer so that will mean more $$ to get things moving along faster. Just waiting for them to finish the background check. For the time being i starting putting some of the engine bay back together. Started running the wiring back to were it was, and got the a/c blower housing re-installed after paint. My fenders also came in the other day. Just need to replace the door pins before i can put them on.

Did a test fit on the passenger side and it fits pretty well. The annoying part is gonna be getting all the edges to line up.

Quick Reply: My 86 Sport coupe project thread.