My 86 Sport coupe project thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
4th Gear Member

change the motor mounts while it's that far torn down. It's a pain to get to one of the nuts.

You have to drop the a arm

Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 AM
3rd Gear Member

I was able to get the mounts out. It is tough, but I don't think its necessary to drop the A arm. I just fabbed up a wrench and used grease as a "glue" to hold the nut in place until the bolt was started. But I do agree now is the time to do the mounts.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

The mounts are both new. I replaced them before the 305 went south. I should be picking up the 350 Sunday night. I'm getting it for free from a friend, but it has been sitting outside. He said its a truck motor that came out of an 85 or 86, model unknown. Its all assembled so hopefully the cylinders wont be in too bad shape. All i really want is the block. A local machine shop said they can hot tank it, bore, hone, install freeze out plugs, oil gallery plugs, and install the cam bearings for 375.00, parts included. I'm gonna put on a set of vortex heads and intake with a mild cam. I have to call up Lunati and see what cam would be best. I hope to make around 400hp when finished.

Last edited by mgg4591; 09-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

Carefull there.....free truck 350's scare me. Verify it is indeed a 350, 2 or 4 bolt shouln't matter for your purpose, but you need to verify that its even worth working on. You will need to talk to a few people on here that have gone the vortec route.....

Old 09-24-2011, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by djs383
Carefull there.....free truck 350's scare me. Verify it is indeed a 350, 2 or 4 bolt shouln't matter for your purpose, but you need to verify that its even worth working on. You will need to talk to a few people on here that have gone the vortec route.....
The guy im getting it from had a third gens in the past that he built. The 350 that im getting he bought for a few hundred a couple years ago. He was going to use it in an Rx-7 project but he never got around to it.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgg4591
The mounts are both new. I replaced them before the 305 went south. I should be picking up the 350 Sunday night. I'm getting it for free from a friend, but it has been sitting outside. He said its a truck motor that came out of an 85 or 86, model unknown. Its all assembled so hopefully the cylinders wont be in too bad shape. All i really want is the block. A local machine shop said they can hot tank it, bore, hone, install freeze out plugs, oil gallery plugs, and install the cam bearings for 375.00, parts included. I'm gonna put on a set of vortex heads and intake with a mild cam. I have to call up Lunati and see what cam would be best. I hope to make around 400hp when finished.

you'll need to check but me thinks that will be a 2 piece rear main seal and solid lifters.

are they going to grind the crank and align hone for that price? Before they do anything else have them clean it and magnaflux first. Why OK the large expense before you even know the condition of the block?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Well we went to go pick up the 350 and it turns out it wasn't even there. His uncle apparently got rid of it but never told him about it. So instead Im gonna buy a 350 block off summit with all the machine work already done. In the meantime i made some more progress with the body.

I got the rest of the bay primed and painted. I went with a semi gloss black which looks really nice.

With the bumper on, before and after.

I also got the rear removed and im going to pick up a rear with disks out of a 4th gen LS1.

Almost all the rust is gone, all that is left is the rust on the the pinch-weld below the rear bumper. I'm going to pull that today and cut out the rust and weld it up. I also have the gas tank pulled and im in the middle of undercoating the wheel wells and the bottom on the car.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:57 AM
4th Gear Member

as you look to the powertrain and interior the money is going to fly from your wallet. Some sanding and rattle can primer can clean up a body but that is the point where many "projects" stop. That is why you see a lot of rollers for sale on craigslist. The infamous "fresh 350" for $400 doesn't actually exist.

Do you have a transmission for a V8? If it's the T5 then it will be borderline unless you get it beefed up. You should shop around for engine/tranny combos on craigslist and Ebay. Then, compare prices of buying the used item and getting them rebuilt vs buying new or reconditioned items.

Also, don't be afraid to vist your local parts store. They have resources where they will meet or beat the pricing from the on-line retailers.

If you have time, it also doesn't hurt to go visit a couple machine shops and let them know that you are in the market for a rebuilt SBC, and give them your contact information. But, only do that if you have cash in hand and could pounce on a good deal. Don't waste their time unless you are an able buyer.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I just finished rebuilding the original 700-r4 that came out of the car. I used alto clutches, new steels, new valve body, seals and gaskets, and installed a transgo jr. shift kit and a corvette servo. I also used a 3-4 drum from a 4L60E that holds an additional clutch and steel. That's sitting in my basement ready to go in the car when i get an engine.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgg4591
I just finished rebuilding the original 700-r4 that came out of the car. I used alto clutches, new steels, new valve body, seals and gaskets, and installed a transgo jr. shift kit and a corvette servo. I also used a 3-4 drum from a 4L60E that holds an additional clutch and steel. That's sitting in my basement ready to go in the car when i get an engine.

attaboy. You're part way there. Did you replace the forward sprag too? How about the sunshell? if you end up with 350 ft pounds of torque or more they will soon be toast.

been there, done that..............

Quick Reply: My 86 Sport coupe project thread.