3rd Gear Member

Wow, I like the leather more.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:40 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buffalo02Z28
Wow, I like the leather more.
thanks

I was being facetious. The cloth was just nasssssssstttteeeeeee

I "fabreezed" the foam on every seat before installing the new leather.

Next up is to remove the front rug and replace it. I already ripped off the headliner and board and nearly choked on all the dust. I'm finding that you need to really search for rug and headliners because it appears that every "vendor" of those items buys from the same place, they all just have different mark-ups.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

I have a few pieces of advice on your resto. First, you are absolutely right about interior vendors, its all the same product. Do your best to get quality stuff, not chinese junk. I have had to return about 75% of my interior because it was junk and was not as advertised, same goes for body parts as well when you get to that point.

2nd and maybe more important, be careful marking things with masking tape. I don't know what type of environment you are in, but overly hot, dry, cold, etc. and that masking tape will fall off, or the marker will bleed out over time. If it takes you a while to put a new motor in, you will forget something somewhere over time. A better way to do it is with colored zip ties and a master list Ex (pink=ac, pink&green=EGR solonoid, pink&green&red=TPS) this is a nearly permanent marking system with a much smaller chance of forgetting something. After my swap I only have a few things I no longer use (from the old qjet) but I can ID them and safely remove them from the harness. Best of luck

Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by djs383
I have a few pieces of advice on your resto. First, you are absolutely right about interior vendors, its all the same product. Do your best to get quality stuff, not chinese junk. I have had to return about 75% of my interior because it was junk and was not as advertised, same goes for body parts as well when you get to that point.

2nd and maybe more important, be careful marking things with masking tape. I don't know what type of environment you are in, but overly hot, dry, cold, etc. and that masking tape will fall off, or the marker will bleed out over time. If it takes you a while to put a new motor in, you will forget something somewhere over time. A better way to do it is with colored zip ties and a master list Ex (pink=ac, pink&green=EGR solonoid, pink&green&red=TPS) this is a nearly permanent marking system with a much smaller chance of forgetting something. After my swap I only have a few things I no longer use (from the old qjet) but I can ID them and safely remove them from the harness. Best of luck
thanks

good tips about masking tape but I've found that a sharpie on masking tape holds out. I use a pink sharpie

I don't need any exterior panels. it only needs some sanding, some banging and a little filler. There are no holes or rust as it's a FL car all its life.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 89 RS restoration

You guys make me miss my 1987 Firebird I sold way back when with 47,000 miles on it. They were nice when they were new. It is weird seeing some of these being restored now, and that they are old enough they are reaching that status. Keep it up, it is nice to read these posts. I am trying hard to help with that 50,000 post thing...

Old 11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
4th Gear Member

so it's basically sit around and wait time.

I'm waiting on

reman'd long block
rear hatch pull down assembly
headliner
rug
sun visors

I suppose I could go underneath and finally replace the pinion seal and scrape off the gunk that happened because of the leaky seal. I also have to finish taking apart the steering column and fix the wobbly steering wheel.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM
2nd Gear member

Sounds like things are coming along real nice for you. I bought a really nice 92 RS back in 05 with a locked up motor,bought a long block from Kragen Auto cause I just wanted to get car running for dd and not spend much time on it. 5 yrs later it still runs good. Prices have gone up though cause mine was only 900 plus 100 for core since I bought 350 instead of 305 motor. Good luck with your car,wish mine was hard top and not T-Top.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 AM

So looking great car !

Old 12-10-2010, 08:54 AM
4th Gear Member

my rug arrived and I'll be putting it in this weekend. That will allow me to re-install the seats and I can get them out of the dining room. Someone is not too appreciative of the idea of having Camaro seats in the dining room when company is over for Xmas dinner

I know I'll get flamed but I'm not too motivated to go out into the garage at night. It's down in the 40's at night here in FL right now and I'm too much of a wussy to want to work in the cold. I suppose I could just vent the dryer into the garage again to make it warm like I've done before.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
4th Gear Member

New rug, sun visors and headliner from www.stockinteriors.com

since the rug and headliner tend to come from the same place, you just need to shop around to find who has the lowest price at the time. For me, it was stockinteriors.com when I was looking

the seats are leather. I re-skinned the old seats and made repairs as needed.

the door panels are going to be exchanged with the black ones that I have.

I think the gray and black combo looks good. I'll button the center console up after I install the tranny and engine. I fixed the wobbly tilt steering wheel (a bolt had come off)

Attached Thumbnails 89 RS Budget Restoration-dscf0137.jpg   89 RS Budget Restoration-dscf0138.jpg   89 RS Budget Restoration-dscf0139.jpg   89 RS Budget Restoration-dscf0140.jpg  

Quick Reply: 89 RS Budget Restoration