89 RS Budget Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 PM
4th Gear Member
Default 89 RS Budget Restoration

I bought the 1989 RS frankly because it had all the pieces. I've been looking for a 3rd gen project and most are overpriced. I picked this up for $500 but had to flat bed it home.

I already got it running. I also just picked up a brand new leather interior including new skins for the door panels. I'm months away from doing the interior but at the price I could get a complete leather interior I had to buy it now. I'll be removing the cloth and re-skinning the seats. New headliner and rug is also in store for it but first the mechanical will get done. Heck, I'll have new car smell!!

It's the 305 TBI and it's coming out for a rebuild, I may bump the cam up just a wee bit but nothing radical. The 700 R4 shifts fine but I'll be dropping it, inspecting and at a minimum, servicing it. Tires are practically new and rims can be refinished. It has a leaky rear pinion seal. I'll also treat the brakes to new wheel cylinders, rotors, pads and shoes. The drums will get turned as they still have meat. Some bushings are cracked so I'll replace them. The exterior will get much attention. Overall, it's not bad for a $500 purchase and yes, it will be a lot of labor.

I'll update this thread on occasion but here are the before pictures

Attached Thumbnails 89 RS Budget Restoration-89rs1.jpg   89 RS Budget Restoration-89rs2.jpg   89 RS Budget Restoration-seat.jpg   89 RS Budget Restoration-leaky-pinion1.jpg  
Old 10-03-2010, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice, I will be looking up and following your progress. I just picked up a 87 for $700 with the 305 TPI (the guy says its a 350 but the vin says otherwise :-))You beat me on the price :-)
Anyways, Im on the same boat as you with the interior but I do not have rear seats or covers. Can't wait to begin the rework hi hi.
regards,
Jim

Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The good thing is it will come out just the way you want it to.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by junior.davilar
The good thing is it will come out just the way you want it to.
with my 95 Z28 i knew that I'd be giving it to junior to drive so I was under a timeline to get everything done. With this, I can say to heck with it on weekends if i don't feel like working on it. I hate the whole sanding and putty thing but let's see if I can get my mind around it because i'm not under any timeline.

I'd rather pull an engine and tranny 3 times than sand and prime 1 quarter panel.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:52 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FSTKMARO
Very nice, I will be looking up and following your progress. I just picked up a 87 for $700 with the 305 TPI (the guy says its a 350 but the vin says otherwise :-))You beat me on the price :-)
Anyways, Im on the same boat as you with the interior but I do not have rear seats or covers. Can't wait to begin the rework hi hi.
regards,
Jim
you got tpi so it's worth the $200

good stuff

Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Very good. I just picked the car up and drove it home about 50 miles. Boy am I for an adventure with this thing. It shifts fine and stops very well. It is currently skipping, I hope it is just plugs or bad cable. No overheating and better yet no knocking or weird noises.
Let's the games begin :-)

Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM
4th Gear Member

Today was "shopping day"

I spent time at the local bone yard and came up with a lower grill in great shape, an air dam as I noticed mine was missing it, RS badging for the rockers and rear and 2 arm rests in great shape. Grand total, $40

I also found some hatch struts for the 95Z.

I'm awaiting the shop manual I found for $45 on Ebay and then I'll begin.

I'm still looking around for a good 305 or 350. If i don't find one that's a good deal, then I'll begin the rebuild of this 305 first. Kits including a new cam are $425 and I'll have the block cleaned. Compression test is OK so I'll just hone the cylinders myself. of course if someone comes along with a reasonable deal on a motor I'll forego the rebuild labor and do a swap and then sell mine for cheap.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Good to see another 89 RS being Restored, Good luck with it, im having fun with mine(on a budget too)

Old 10-10-2010, 01:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

Wow, it seems like that you got a good deal for your RS. Good luck on the rstoration. I will also be paying much attention to this project.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:53 AM

ive got an 89 rs i just put a battrery in yesterday after 3 years and other than having to change out a couple spark plug wires and new gas it actually ran fine after about 2 minutes of warming it up it smoothed out and i was doing rollbacks in the driveway cant wait to put it back on the road tuesday

Quick Reply: 89 RS Budget Restoration