89 RS Budget Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 11:22 AM
4th Gear Member

thanks all

I'll post updates and photos as well. I'm gathering parts right now and won't buy any internals until I crack her open and see what I've got. Honestly, there's more interior/exterior work to do than mechanical (I don't view yanking an engine as a big deal)

The tach that's off by a couple thousand rpm's, inoperative oil pressure gauge, light switches that are loose, loose steering column (fix is on a thread in thirdgen.org) rug, headliner, upholstery and then the exterior sanding and putty, and finally paint. Did I mention that i sort of despise doing body work?

But, being the sick man that I am I view this as fun.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM

ive got an 89 rs that i picked up a few years back when i turned 16, first car, now that i have some time and money and a decent job i wanna restore it. i have to many fond memories in her to give her up. im in the process of purchasing a 383 stroker for her but need input on what manual trans will hold up to that power and torque. i WILL NOT use automatic i hate it with a passion (sorry to those of you that like it) so anyway i need some input on what trans to use any ideas would be a big help. and feel free to give me any other ideas about restoring it or any good websites for parts. thank you

Old 10-14-2010, 05:47 PM
4th Gear Member

I am now the proud owner of a GM service manual for the 89 Camaro. A little faded on the cover but the pages are good. Feel free to ping me if you need anything looked up in it but don't ask me to scan and post as I have no scanner.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:52 PM
4th Gear Member

A little more junk yard time today and I netted an antenna from a Grand Am, a fan speed switch and a relay from a 3rd gen firebird and spent a whopping $5.

The factory service manual is wonderful with the diagrams because I found that the acc fuse is then distributed to other fuses such as the rear hatch. My power door locks and interior kick panel lights now work (after a little bit of liquid wrench to the solenoid on the power door locks)

The rear hatch is another issue. The electric pull down doesn't work. I'm debating chasing the wiring harness or replacing the parts or modifying the rear hatch to be manual with a generic latching assembly. I'm more about functionality and could care if the hatch pulls down. I'm open to any suggestions regarding the hatch and wil probably search at thirdgen.org as well

Removed the steering wheel to address the loose tilt mech but I'm not up for that much effort today.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

good luck on the rebuild and keep s posted with pics

Old 10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
4th Gear Member

It's always good to have a "before" photo. Well, here's one of the 305 before it comes out. Don't be hating me but I'm thinking blue and not the typical orange for paint. The engine actually runs quite well but I'm going to rebuild it so it's nice and fresh. The 700R4 is coming out with it. One of the previous owners rounded the torx heads in the alternator bolt so I'm already getting creative.

The AIR is just crying out to be set free and I think I may yield to its wishes and set it free upon the world to seek its fortune. The exhaust manifolds may or may not join the AIR, I haven't made up my mind on them yet.

Attached Thumbnails 89 RS Budget Restoration-engine1resize.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice. I am following your steps. Now I picked up a 89 RS with the 305 TBI. Body is excellent the engine would not start. I got it for 800. It looks better than my 87 TPI :-)
After playing a little with it today the engine would start if fuel is fed through the TB but it would not pump gas. The gage seems defective so not sure if it even has gas lol. Little by little and the engine looks just like yours there.
good stuff man!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:31 AM
4th Gear Member

well, another update on some items. I drove a little to save a lot.

I picked up qty 2 brand spanking new door weatherstrip that lists for $70 on A1 auto

qty 2 black sail panels

qty 2 windows in great shape with hardware valued at $80

qty 2 black door panels with weatherstrip that list for over $100 for the pair

All of the interior plastic pieces for the front and rear

a new console with the arm rest in great shape

cargo cover in great shape- $40 in the open market

upper door panel rails that list for $200 at fbody store

door sills in black

2 black arm rests (I already got qty 2 but it came with the package so I'll be selling 2)

all of the hardware

HVAC controls

all for the sum of $175

If you aren't in a rush, and are in a position to buy an item when you know it's a great deal even if it's months before needing it, it seems that a budget restoration will be possible.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

You are one lucky guy lol.

good deal.
I will have to scrounge our junk yards up here. Not much to find in the cold northeast lol.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:46 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FSTKMARO
You are one lucky guy lol.

good deal.
I will have to scrounge our junk yards up here. Not much to find in the cold northeast lol.
My gray plastic is in pretty good shape if you need gray.

If you are looking for anything specific be sure to PM me. We don't get all the rust here in FL but exterior trim and rubber get killed by UV rays if the owners don't use Armor All or similar. There's a boneyard near my house and craigslist always has items listed locally.

Quick Reply: 89 RS Budget Restoration