Installing an New Headliner

Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
liv
Default Installing an New Headliner

A few weekends ago I replaced the headliner on my 91 with my dad in the backyard and saved myself a ton of money. I purchased Permatex Headliner Adhesive (Part No. 27828) from Advance specifically for use with headliners, carpets and other such fabrics for $12 and a sheet of 50”x55” grey headliner material from our local fabric store for $22. This process took us the better half of a Sunday, so make sure you have plenty of time!

After removing the headboard from the car, we gently peeled the old headliner off and took a coarse sponge to the remaining foam still on the headboard. After all the material and foam was removed from the headboard, we placed it on a flat surface to start the job. If you notice any places where the headboard is peeling apart, don’t worry, it won’t be a problem after the new headliner is installed.

We applied one coat of glue to the headboard in a left/right direction, and another coat after 5 minutes in an up/down direction. After another 5 minuet wait, the headboard had an even coat of adhesive and had a tacky consistency. Next we began to apply the headliner. We gradually applied a third coat of glue to the headliner as we rolled it on to the headboard and molded it into place. Once it was in place we trimmed the excess fabric off, BUT left about 3/4” to fold over the sides. Then with the extra we cut several strips of fabric off and glued it on the headboard as sort of fabric tape to further secure the headliner material to the headboard itself. Finally, with the fabric that we cut off to make room for the t tops, we covered the side panels in the back that cover the speakers.

**When trimming the fabric from the sharp right angles around where the t tops go, leave about 3/4” from the middle of the angle and cut a short slit. When ready, pull the fabric tight and fold against the headboard and secure with a clothespin for no less than 15 minutes before applying “fabric tape”.

**Although we rolled our headliner on, we agreed that it would have been easier if we had pulled the fabric taunt (but not stretched) and draped it over the headboard.

I hope this helps ya’ll and saves some money for ya!