1987 AC Blend Door, need some help, please

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM
Default 1987 AC Blend Door, need some help, please

First off, hello, and thank you for letting me join your forum. If I am posting this in the wrong place, I apologize, I am new to "posting".

Here's my issue:
I have recently acquired an 87 Iroc convertible. My kids are grown and I wanted something for my wife and I to take short trips in. Overall the car is in great shape, except, for one issue. I cannot adjust the temperature because the "blend door" is broken.

The cable that runs from the dash to the blend door is fine, the rod on the blend door itself is broken. I have called chevy dealers, Classic industries, looked on eBay , called junk yards, nothing. Well actually i found a couple heater box assemblies at a junk yard, but the blend door assembly on them was broken as well, so I assume this is a weakness of the Gen 3 camaro (?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Old 04-24-2019, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wviroc
First off, hello, and thank you for letting me join your forum. If I am posting this in the wrong place, I apologize, I am new to "posting".

Here's my issue:
I have recently acquired an 87 Iroc convertible. My kids are grown and I wanted something for my wife and I to take short trips in. Overall the car is in great shape, except, for one issue. I cannot adjust the temperature because the "blend door" is broken.

The cable that runs from the dash to the blend door is fine, the rod on the blend door itself is broken. I have called chevy dealers, Classic industries, looked on eBay , called junk yards, nothing. Well actually i found a couple heater box assemblies at a junk yard, but the blend door assembly on them was broken as well, so I assume this is a weakness of the Gen 3 camaro (?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
Hello. I am the Merchandising Director at Classic Industries. I looked into this issue and here is what I discovered.

The GM books we have access to do not list this item past 1986. Maybe this diagram will help you?

Perhaps someone else here can shed more light on any information regarding whether there were any further changes to these parts after 1986?

The item you are looking for may be called a Temperature Valve by GM?

If you have images you can upload showing the parts you are looking for, it may help.

Or, if you can use the exploded view, here, and identify what you need by referring to the number in the illustration, it might clarify what you need.

All the parts highlighted with Yellow highlighter on these pages are obsolete by GM. I could find nothing used or NOS on Ebay or in a Google search.

My guess is that this item is not available in the aftermarket as a replacement part, either.

I wish I could be of more help. Best of luck to you on your project.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:25 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! i appreciate the effort you put into your reply. SUPER NICE! thanks!!!

Old 04-25-2019, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wviroc
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! i appreciate the effort you put into your reply. SUPER NICE! thanks!!!
You're welcome. If you don't mind and it's not too much trouble, please upload pics here if or when you get yours out of the vehicle.

It would be interesting to see what the issue is with it and how you resolve this problem.

I'm also interested to know how common this issue is, and if this is something that Third Gen Camaro owners would like to have access to as a replacement part.

Would be nice to hear from some other Third Gen owners about this issue. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-23-2023, 05:18 AM

good advice!