yet another emission question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell
Default yet another emission question..

I have an opportunity to move to california with a friend of mine, however my car is nowhere near street legal. I Have replaced my 305 with a 350 with no emissions. is it possible to add all the emissions and pass their test or am I sol? I have just renewed my plates in indiana so I have a year to get it up to snuff so can anyone ball park a figure on the cost? I dont really need specifics or anything I just want to know what I am in for.

edit* forgot to add that I have headers, a 600 cfm edelbrock carb, and a dual plane edelbrock performer intake.

Last edited by adirtypoostick; 07-18-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Overdrive Member

yeah im sure you will pass as long as you have all the correct equipment.Just as a warning if you ever get pulled over,you might have to lie lol.DMV says you must register your vehicle within 30 days of moving.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:08 PM
March 2011 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

dont bother taking that car to cali-its going to require a catalytic convertor, egr, air pump, depending on year it needs an electronic carb, and will have to pass the tail pipe test. if you are movin to cali, just buy a cali car when you get there.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's going to be a lot of work and expense to make your car Cali compliant. And restrictions on cars are tighter there than here in the Midwest. Is this a permanent move? Otherwise you could be "just visiting" and keep it registered in Indiana if you can still use the address. Just don't get pulled over more than once, or they'll get you.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: IN, or hell whichever, wait, its too cold to be hell

definitely not a permanent move. I will have to put some serious thought into it and like micro kid said I might just buy a cali car. It is kind of a toss up between cali and ga right now and I have been leaning more towards GA anyway.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

We have emissions standards that are about 99% as strict as Ca here in Az, so here is what I know.

I've just swapped my old 305 for a high HP stroker. Its been at the body shop since memorial day and should be done around november. So, it has not been through emissions yet. I have a buddy who works in emissions and helped me do everything by the book during my install so there are no suprises. It will need:

$250- Smog headers, Hooker, edelbrock, and Jegs make them. They are a direct bolt on and smog lines go right on no problem.

$?? Smog pump, I know they are cheap especially if you can pull one off a donor car.

$?? smog lines are same as above. They are a dime a dozen from any of the 3rd gens

Charcol canister.

$150-250 working cat converter.

$250ish MSD box. This helps a lot for emissions in California, and the 6A or AL are easy to wire into any existing ignition. If you do this make sure you use regular old delco or fram plugs.

Cam....this is where I may have a tough time as I have a really agressive cam. If its too agressive, you may have a tough time at the sniffer. If yours is mild you should be OK.

Carb. If you are overcarbed or even just right, you'll have to lean it out quite a bit and run some alcohol if you can.

Timing: This makes a lot of difference according to my friend at the emissions places. He's seen more than one car come in and fail, then just adjust timing and pass.

Other tips: it needs to be up to full operating temperature or it will not pass. If you have any connections to race fuel, find an unleaded mid-octane fuel that is oxygenated. I'm still lucky and have connections with VP fuels from my motocross racing and they do make such a fuel for the import cars that will work.

Make sure you have no other exhaust leaks, or vacuum leaks of any kind. The car will probobly pass the sniffer, but they are pretty **** when it comes to the visual, especially on out of state cars.

Thats what I know, maybe there are others here who have more Ca experience than I do, but thats about what $1200 for that?