wont crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: wont crank

Thanks for your services to our country, Sailor69r.
Here is something safer you can try, besides using car thief tricks.

If you hear the solenoid click, that means that the ignition key circuit is OK. But you may still wan to test it out.
Connect a voltmeter between the solenoid terminal on the starter and ground, have some one try to start the car, if the key circuit & start relays are good, you should now see battery voltage. If that looked OK, put a voltmeter across the battery terminal on the starter and ground, have someone try to start the engine while you are looking at the voltmeter, if the starter engages, the voltage should drop down to around 10 volts or lower. If it stays up around 12 volts, it indicates that either the solenoid or the starter are bad and not drawing current, If it drops below 8 volts either the starter is jammed, or that the cable from the battery to the starter is bad.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 PM

thanks pete ill do that tommorow, ill try anything at this point lol

Old 12-07-2006, 01:08 AM
Overdrive Member

Well while you are waiting Sailor I will entertain you with a story about this friend I had since junior high.

He had a 72 dog dart with the slant six. He wanted a dash with the ignition in it instead of on the column so he found a donar dart in a friends field. So we packed up with tools and rode our bikes (mind you we are to young to drive and I have had a heart condition since birth). He took me a long way around thinking it was a short cut. Had to been over 20 miles and dont forget we had tools!
We get the dash unbolted and he would return with his father another day to pick it up. I went to his house after he got the dash and he already had it bolted in and was hooking up wires for the gauges and such. His dad was an electrician so he had all the wire nuts he could ever need. Yes I said wire nuts. But being he was left handed he could not figure out how to twist wire clockwise and needed me to do the twisting so the wire nuts would screw on. This guy had wire coming out from all over under the dash! He was going to tuck them up later. Yeah Right.
Finaly he gets his license so we are driving along, wires are still hanging, and he is a speed demon. We are coming up behind some cars stopped at a light and he says "UHH Mike. I cant get my foot on the brake". I look to see his foot is tangled in his wires. Well instead of taking the time to say "I told you so" I grabed the door handle incase I had to bail. He got it stopped before I had to jump and let him crash.

Remind me and another day we will gather round the fire and I will tell you boys and girls about his green Hornet! You wont believe what you hear.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 AM
2nd Gear member

We should all get together and do that some day. I'll bring the chocolate, Mike can bring grahm crackers, and you other guys can fight over who brings marshmallows and sticks.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:34 PM

I FIXED IT......im soo stoked lol, appearantly when the dumb *** put in my b&m shifter before i got it didnt hook up the NSS to the new shifter, its ttached to the old shif indicator, the wires came unbound and thats what it was, i re-attached them and it fired roght up, good to hear her purrrrrr...........thanks for all the help guy i appreciate it very much

Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Overdrive Member

Sounds like something my friend would have done. Were there wire nuts on it?

Old 12-07-2006, 06:49 PM

lmao no, electric tape lol

Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 PM

ok so come spring the 305 is goin gin, and a new paint job, silver base coat and candy apple over that, sound good?

Old 12-07-2006, 06:51 PM

and did anyone ever hear of a special edition 91 camaro where they only made a certian number of red on red camaro's?

Old 12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear member

Any special edition in 1991 would be news to me... There wasn't too much of anything special about 1991 for the Camaro as far as I can recall.

Quick Reply: wont crank