won a TPI

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:18 PM
March 2008 ROTM
Default RE: won a TPI

no it wont, but its not going on anytime soon either. Im puttin money into it. I tried to take apart that wireing harness today, and its all rigged and spliced here and there. I think i will be better off buying a new one.. Is it possible to make this setup a MAF type instead of speed density? clearly MAF is the better type as its still used today.

but your right, the guy who took it off didnt appear to know what he was doin, or to take his time. cutting things at random. I know its not the best, but im hopeing with a little, or a lot, of TLC and money, i can get it to be a nice setup. It was a good price, at least to start me off in the right direction hopefully

Old 09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
4th Gear Member

Check the ECM for the last three numbers (265) if its is (870) Just throw the whole mess in the trash. Check the price of new wiring harness from Painless Wiring and start looking for 265 ECM. The TPI set ias another matter: New EGR and 22# injectors (if it came with it they are 19# and are probably shot.If I remember you cam assembly the entire upper half of the TPI for bolting on to the intake (good time to see if the intake will bolt on to the 350) This was a Maf set-up amd that is another new part you will need. and on and on.[sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif][sm=icon_blah.gif]

Hell, at this point I would just pack this junk upand return it and get my money back. As I said before I have seen better complete TPI set ups on E-bay. So think about it, is it worth it for what you have to do???[sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 09-06-2007, 10:05 PM
March 2008 ROTM

hmm, i think i may have been doped with the harness and the ECM. Im not matching any numbers to it. Service number is 1227730. then its got another number on the side sayin 5017181. I can find a computer easy enough, and maybe get lucky with a good harness. I need to get new injectors for sure. some are missing for that matter, plus they should be the 19 like you said. Ive seen harness's on jegs made by painless for 350ish. Its got an EGR with it, but its lookin kinda shotty, i planned on replaceing that too. Id like to make this setup work, but if i cant, ive got a buddy who will buy it. and ill buy something that will work with less problems. But i enjoy challenges from time to time, and this seems to be a large challenge. Im up for the tast mentally, but my wallet? that may be a different story. Well see as time goes on.

is there a site where i can check the PROM? This computer is a bit bigger than the one sitting in my car now, and that im use to seeing. a goo inch wider, inch and a half longer, and a bit thicker. PLUS its got 3 different connections on it. im use to seeing one. But maybe thats how they are. i dunno.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM
4th Gear Member

Well for one from your discription of that ECM and wiring, it dosent belong to that set up. Another expense for a chip (Fastchip.com). Always ready for a challenge, but get real that buy is a FURBAL and going to be expensive.

Short list of items you need:
ECM & Prom (chip), Wiring harness, Maf sensor, Air box & filters, Hose for Maf, Knock sensor, gaskets, Fuel Injectors (22#), EGR, Fasteners, Fuel pump (meeds to checked)and Misc hardware that may be required.
This is a short list and I may have missed somethingsthat will be needed. Money wise as a estimate for the above.......$1775.

I hope you didn't go overboard on bidding for that TPI junk because that seller is laughing all the way to the beverage store.
Good Luck

Old 09-07-2007, 11:38 AM
March 2008 ROTM

i was gona grab a CAI for it since i dont have the air intake and all, if i can find one, if not then ill have to find the OE equipment. Im lookin at a set of Accell injectors, gona cost me 270ish. But like you said, i dont think that harness belongs to it.. Weather he did that knowlingly or got ripped like i did, who knows.

it may end up bein a bit longer before i put it on now knowing all these problems. who knows. im sure ill be back with more questions when i get into this a bit more, right now ive got other things that ive gotta pay off before i work with this.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:30 PM
March 2008 ROTM

ive been looking around in local book stores, and national ones, for TPI books. Anybody know of a good one that i could order? im kinda lookin for info on the swap, what parts do what, what lines go where, and just a general overlay of how it all works. As ive made obvious in this thread, i dont know much about the TPI just yet, but im hopeing to change that. I happened to find ONE book in Borders that might have been usefull. I forget the name off the top of my head, but it described in detail the swap from TBI to TPI. Maybe the actual Chilton book? but thats more so a how to fix this or that thing, i want to learn about the TPI itself as well. I might just have to buy several different books and read them. But lemme know what yall have, or know. thanks.