Will Vortec heads bolt on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 08:12 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Will Vortec heads bolt on?

Hey guys, back to this head issue......after hours of research it seems that a used set of Vortec heads will be my cheapest option.

Will Vortec heads bolt onto my block? (all I know about my block was that it originated from a 1973 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. I do not have casting numbers readily available)

I know Ill need a new intake......

Old 10-25-2009, 08:55 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes they will bolt on. Do you know what size cam you want to run?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:41 AM
3rd Gear Member

Not yet. Ive been researching this head thing for the better parts of 3 weeks now. Its all a matter of cost vs fun value right now. The one thins I can say for sure is that used Vortec heads are about the only way to go and keep it under 500 bucks.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 AM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Scott, I know you're doing this on a budget, and I feel your pain. I'm in the same position as you right now. However, just slapping on a set of used heads will not give you the gains you're looking for. IMHO, save up an extra few hundred bucks and do it right.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

My goal is to find a set of cheap vortecs and get them checked over. Maybe a cam. Everything else has been modified on the car. (carb, exhaust, oh hell, just read my signature line) There is nothing else I can bolt on for horsepower, and Im quite sure my current heads are bone stock.

By do it right, I assume you mean aftermarket heads, cam and intake in one package? That cant be done for less than 1300 bucks......

Im still researching my options, what did you have in mind?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Is the budget $500 or $1300? How many miles are on the engine? Can you give a specific rundown on the engine what rods, pistons is it a 2 or 4 bolt? Has the block been decked?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Fancy Sparkle

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Scott, I know you're doing this on a budget, and I feel your pain. I'm in the same position as you right now. However, just slapping on a set of used heads will not give you the gains you're looking for. IMHO, save up an extra few hundred bucks and do it right.
Vortec swaps have been known to pick up 20-30 extra hp on all stock parts (ie just swapping heads, not changing cams or anything)

Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GRIFF
Is the budget $500 or $1300? How many miles are on the engine? Can you give a specific rundown on the engine what rods, pistons is it a 2 or 4 bolt? Has the block been decked?
Budget is less than 1k. Engine has less than 5k on it. 2 bolt main, pistons are an upgrade from stock ( dont know the exact make) Dont know if block has been decked or not.

Like I said, Im still considering my options. I dont even know if this can be done in the 5 to 700 dollar range.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
3rd Gear Member

For the $700 total new aftermarket heads are not in the budget and when you consider the engine most likely has factory rods, factory replacement pistons and a 2 bolt mains anything more than the factory vortecs is probably overkill anyhow. The for your $700 price this is a list of parts... the junkyard vortecs(including the factory rockers valve covers/gaskets), new pushrods(do not get untill the engine is assembled and the pushrod length is measured), intake manifold + bolt kit + gasket set, camshaft/lifters flat tappit hydraulic, most likely new valve springs, head gaskets, oil pan gaskets timing cover gasket and seal and a new head bolt kit.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 1990CamaroRS
Vortec swaps have been known to pick up 20-30 extra hp on all stock parts (ie just swapping heads, not changing cams or anything)
That's over factory heads, on a stock engine. A larger cam will outflow them.

Scott, the way I see it: You're in for probably $250-300 dollars to buy a set of used Vortecs and have them rebuilt. Another $200 for an intake manifold, plus the cost of center bolt valve covers, and self aligning rocker arms. So lets say $600 bucks just in the cost of the head swap.

Patriot Performance Vortecs will provide more power out of the box, and support a larger cam. Plus, you can reuse your current intake, rockers, and valve covers, all for $630 bucks. Just makes no sense to buy used heads, IMHO

Quick Reply: Will Vortec heads bolt on?