vats system issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Default vats system issue

so today while i was filling up at the pump my wires broke to the passkey system. fun right. we got the car home. pulled the steering wheel off and messed up the cylinder lock. replaced it. bypassed the starter enable relay. car cranks again however im not getting any fuel. is the fuel problem related to the vats system. if so how can i bypass that aswell.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: vats system issue

Yes the fuel is most likely related to the vats...or you screwed some thing up!
But if you have your key the easy thing to do is measure the resistance and put a, or a series of resistors into the harness for the VATS.
There is info on the web that will tell you to cut some yellow wires. I don't know where that BS came from. If some people cut the yellow wires on thier column they will mess up the air bag system. There is a small, two wire harness. A white with black stripe and a purple with white stripe. Those are the pass key wires that go to the module. Hook the two together with the proper resistance in the middle. I just had to do this after a 2am walk home this morning. Mine finally pooed. All I did was unplug the connector, bend the leadfs of the resistor and tuck them into the back side of the plug while I wait for my new cylinder to be keyed. All in a parking lot. What took the most time was pulling the panels off to get to the harness.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 PM

well i found it out. 3 completely seperate things all somehow related to each other all failed at the same time.

firstly i would never have thought to look into that vats if the cylinder lock hadnt of jammed. its been replaced.
my vats wires are both yellow. they are wired with the correct resistor now.
and my starter enable relay has failed. i wrapped it a bunch of times with electrical tape to keep the circuit closed.

my car starts again.

however i forgot to put the plastic piece for the horn back into the car. woops. so i have no horn.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 89CAMRSID

well i found it out. 3 completely seperate things all somehow related to each other all failed at the same time.

firstly i would never have thought to look into that vats if the cylinder lock hadnt of jammed. its been replaced.
my vats wires are both yellow. they are wired with the correct resistor now.
and my starter enable relay has failed. i wrapped it a bunch of times with electrical tape to keep the circuit closed.

my car starts again.

however i forgot to put the plastic piece for the horn back into the car. woops. so i have no horn.

Just use your middle finger.

I think I get the both wires being yellow. From the lock cylinder to the plug is yellow but from the plug to the Vats Module are different. Mine on the other hand from the cylinder to the plug are white. I just hope that some one without a clue ever jumps in and cuts a yellow harness.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:52 AM

aha. shoot. i didnt know what a vats was when i woke up this morning. goes to show how well the search function and google actually work. anyone in this day and age can be a mechanic if they have small enough hands and the internet.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Overdrive Member

Getting your car fixed over the web is still not perfected. I think they are close though. Isn't that what Onstar does??? [8D]