VATS SYSTEM ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Default RE: VATS SYSTEM ?

Yes, the guy tested the ohm's before he put the resistor in. He said it is the correct one, but I am beginning to wonder if he knows what he is doing. He said that he would come back and try something else, but I haven't heard from him. Got to try to fix it myself now. If you have any ideas I would appreciate it. [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 02-15-2007, 02:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

take the old key switch to a radio shack andhave them test the ohm's--also was the resistor soldier to each of the wire ends that the old switch was connect to if so you my want to look at the resistor and see what amount of ohm's it is putting out---they are 32 different ohm's settings for the vats system

Old 02-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Overdrive Member

Do you know what number key you have? There is 15 different keys for the pass key in the third gens.
1-402ohms
2-523
3-681
4-887
5-1130
6-1470
7-1870
8-2370
9-3010
10-3740
11-4750
12-6040
13-7500
14-9530
15-11800

Old 02-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Tech Droid

Littlem129,
Have you tried a new key?
The PCM will not fire the injectors without a signal from the VATS. You can do the bypass mod, which does not really bypass the VATS, but bypasses the resistor on the key. You still need to know what the resistor value is so that you can directly wire it to the key leads going to the VATS. If the bypass is properly done and the car still won't run, you need a new VATS module, or reprogram the PCM do delete the VATS.
Thselinks shows how to troubleshoot the VATS and how topermanently wire in a resisitor to bypass the one on the key.
http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key
http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg

Old 02-15-2007, 07:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

madmike:
do not now which key it was---it produce 3 ohm's if that will help and it was for a 89 camaro after i replaced everything it started better and seems to run betterthan ever before
sam

Old 02-16-2007, 02:42 AM

z28Pete,
I have tried a new key. Got a key blank off eBay, wasn't the right 1 though. The Chevy dealer took my old key and checked it and gave me a new cut key that matched the old key. Still won't start. I am going to read through all the links you provided. How do you reprogram the PCM?I'm not sure I will ever get it fixed, me or my husband don't know anything about it, we had somebody else put the resistor in, so I don't know if he done it right or not. He said he knew what he was doing, said he had done it before and it always worked. Not this time though.
siw234,
Where do I find the old key switch you are talking about. I know I sound stupid, but as I said above I don't know anything about it. I am trying to learn though.
MadMikeZ28,
I don't know what number key I have. Tested the ohm's in the old key and it read 585. I ordered the 523blank off eBay and it was wrong, but it was the closest to what I have.As I said above the Chevy dealer swapped and gave meanotherkey that matches my old 1, but I didn't think to ask what ohm's it is. Theyeven cut it and didn't charge me anything. Guess I just wanted to get out of there before they changed there mind.
Thanks to everyone that has replied, I really appreciate the help!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 04:39 AM
Overdrive Member

Do you think that possibly when the guy installed the resistor he installed one (or more) for 585 ohms? Did the dealer find what key you needed by the vin? Measure the resistance of it. Maybe the resistor that are installed are the wrong value.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:51 AM

The dealer took my old key and matched the new one to it. I'm not sure what the ohm's for the resistor that is installed is. I looked at the links that z28pete listed and there was a picture showing where the resistor goes. Maybe with that picture I can check what the guy that put the resistor in has done. I couldn't see what he was doing when he was working on it. I have a son that's pretty smart and he works on cars maybe I can get him to help me with it. He lives in Georgia and I live in TN and he's coming in this weekend. Maybehe can help figureit out.Thanks for the reply. You guys are great!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

key switch is where you put the key in to start the car---in order to remove the switch you need to pull steering wheel--did you do that when you install the resistor

Old 02-19-2007, 01:45 AM

No, We have not replaced the key switch just had a new key cut.The only thing the guy that worked on it did was put in the resistor, as illustrated in the diagram in this picture.
http://shbox.com/1/air_bag_disc_2.jpg. All he done was dropped the steering column.Is the key switch supposed to be replaced after the resistor is put in? I know I sounded stupid askingwhere the key switch was, but I have always called it an ignition switch. Iknow nothing about the VATS system, but I do know how to work on the engine. Haven't been able to check out anything this weekend. It snowed and it's parked in the yard. Ireally appreciate all you guys for trying to help me. I need allthe help I can get. You probably know that by now. Anyway, Thank You ![sm=smiley4.gif]

Quick Reply: VATS SYSTEM ?