VATS SYSTEM ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default VATS SYSTEM ?

WHERE IN THE HELL IS THIS LIL MODULE LOCATED? I AM TWO SECONDS AWAY FROM TEARING MY CAR APART BECAUSE OF THIS LIL PIECE OF CRAP. I TRIED TO BYPASS IT. THAT DIDNT WORK. SO IM GONNA TRY THE OTHER WAY. IM GONNA TAKE IT TO RADIO SHACK GET IT OHM TESTED. I GO TO TURN IT ON IT DOESNT TURN ON. THE DAMN SECURITY LIGHT TURNS ON IN THE DASH. THEN IF I WAIT LIKE 5 MINUTES OR SO IT TURNS ON.

BY THE WAY ITS A 92 RS

Old 10-04-2006, 10:49 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: VATS SYSTEM ?

did u get the ohms test ?

Old 10-04-2006, 11:40 AM
In the Staging Lanes

NOT YET IM AT WORK. BUT WHERE IS THIS DAMN MODULE?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes

what you need 2 do is clip the 2 wires going 2 the key unit---that is what the key gos into remove the unit and that is what u take to radio shack---there should be 2 little wires going 2 the key unit there is where u soldier the resitorier it goes in between the 2 wires---my ohmns was 1.5 and ihad 2 solider 2 restoriers together--u will need replace the key unit i got one at advance auto parts fo $12.00---good luck--if u have anymore problems my email address--siw234@yahoo.com
good luck
sam

Old 12-19-2006, 05:11 PM

Hey, I was wondering if you ever got your problem solved. I have a '93 Camaro 3.4 and it was running fine, then got in it and would not start. Security light stays on and will not start. I was on here reading to see what might be the problem. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them. Hope you got yours fixed.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear member

First thing I would check is the neutral safety switch connection. As I've never had a4th gen, I can't say for sure what the wire looks like, but it would probably be a single wire coming down from the steering collumn and would run towards either the clutch pedal, or the shift selector depending on the transmission you have. On the 3rd gens, it was an orange wire with a black or white connector, deppending on what GM had on hand when the car was made. Check for wires that have come disconnected under the steering collumn, and that failing, come back here for more ideas.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

my bad i havent responded sooner. i got the problem fixed. the whole time it was the key that was messed up. somehow it went bad sending wrong readings to the vats system. so i went to the dealer and had me a key made and that got rid of the problem.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 AM

Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear you got yours fixed 355Camaros.I still don't know what my problem is. Haven't had time to work on it yet. I do have a friend that says he can help me bypass the VATS, so I am just going to do that. If it dosen't start then I will know that it's something else. At least next time it won't start I'll know it's not the VATS. Happy Holidays to everyone![sm=thanx.gif]

Old 02-15-2007, 02:36 AM

Finally got someone to try to bypass VATS, did not work. Had a new key made, still will not start. Can run a wire from the starter to the battery and it will start and run for about 3 seconds then it dies. Someone said in another forum to take a piece of wire and jump it from the radio fuse to the pcm fuse and the car will start and run without the resistor. Has anybody heard of, or tried this? Will it ruin anthing if I try this?Also I found a VATS Bypass item, but for it to work I have to find and bypass the crank disable relay by rewiring the relay ("add a jumper across it" ). This info is on bakerelectronix.com where the VATS Bypass item is, but it does not tell where to find the crank disable relay. Does anyone know where the crank disable relay is? Does anyone know where I can get a VATS wiring diagram for a 1993 Camaro 3.4? I have a feeling I am going to need it. Or like 355Camaros, the thought did cross my mind to just burn it. Been tore up for 2 months now. I live in a very small town and nobody knows how to fix it, and Ican't affordto give the Chevy dealer $300 - $600 to fix it.
If anybody has any suggestions or can help with any of the questions that I have asked above I would be a very happy lady. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.[sm=helpout.gif]Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 AM
In the Staging Lanes

dud you have the ohm's tested

Quick Reply: VATS SYSTEM ?