Two Different Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Two Different Starting Problems

Alright I'm experiencing two completely separate issues with starting my car on occasion.

1) In the morning when I'm heading out to my car to go to school, I can crank and crank and crank and the car doesn't want to start. The starter is running and cranking, but the engine doesn't fire. If it does decide to fire, it will die almost immediately. This usually happens on cold mornings when there's dew all over the car or at night when it hasn't been run for a while when its cold and dewy. I've also experienced it once in a while during the rain. Once its running at idle speed, it won't die, it's just really rough starting it again if I turn the car off.
I've already tried replacing fuel pump and fuel filter and this didn't solve the problem. Due to the fact that there is always water or moisture involved when it won't start, I'm thinking moisture might be getting in somewhere. Any ideas?

2) Now this problem is completely different. After driving around from school to home or wherever I may go, I'll shut off my car like normal. Then if I have to come back out to start up my car within like 5-30 minutes later, my car won't start. I turn the key forward and get absolutely nothing. The starter isn't crank or clicking or doing anything at all. The car acts like I'm trying to start it without pushing the clutch in.
I've already tried changing the clutch safety switch and checking the contacts and all. This didn't help. One thing I've noticed since there started happening, is my dashboard security light tends to flash on and off almost everytime I hit a bump in the road. I don't think it is the security system though because I still am able to start my car by pushing it and popping the clutch. Any ideas and what could be causing this to happen?

Sorry to putso muchin one post, but help on either or both would be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: Two Different Starting Problems

For your hard, damp starting problem, I would first try replacing the distributor cap and rotor. You could be getting moisture under the cap, or the cap could be carbon-tracked andmoisture would just exaggerate the problem. I have a 91 RS 305 TBI auto trans, and it had a jerky idle while in gear. The old cap looked like crap inside so I replaced thecap & rotor and it idles nicely now. If the plug wires have never been replaced, or are extremely old, it would be a good idea to do that too.For the dead starter,removeyour electrical connections at the starter and wire brush them good and clean. Also clean any ground strap/wire connections between the engine and frame. Do the cheap fixes first, at least to rule out a wiring connection issue.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I just recently replaced the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires so I'm pretty sure they aren't at fault although I'll check again to see if there are any signs of build-up on the contacts.

The starter is also new and all the wiring is clean and fine where it meets the starter. I've already ruled out most of the easy fixes. Any other ideas?

Old 11-04-2007, 12:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

is it still tbi? first you could be losing power to the injector's cure ( ecm or injector's ) second problem fuel pressure regulator. i have a tbi unit forsale if you need it.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes it is till TBI. Will I need a whole new TBI unit just to replace the fuel pressure regulator?

Just today I can't get it to start at all. It will crank and crank and fire a little bit, but won't start. It occasionally will fire up, run at idling speed for a second or two, then just die again. I can pump the peddle up and down if it fires up and I will get a very rough firing, but if I hold the peddle in and don't pump, it stops firing and just dies. I've heard ignition module from some people. Could this possibly be the problem?

Old 11-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How many miles on the car? I recently rebuilt the TBI unit on my 91, and it's a piece of cake to do compared to rebuilding a carb. While it's apart, clean every nook, cranny and hole real well with carb cleaner to remove any gum and varnish, especially the injectors. If you have a lot of miles, it certainly won't hurt to do it.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the fuel pressure regulator is real easy. it could be the module also. here's one test to check if it's the control module. pull of one plug wire and use a spark tester or a screwdriver to test for spark and have some one crank the motor over with the starter and see if you have spark.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Well today I had my dad watch the TBI to see if it was spraying fuel while I cranked and there is fuel getting there. So I decided to tackle the ignition module. Took it off and brought it to an auto store where they tested it and it failed. So I bought a new one, got home, put it in, and now I'm not getting it to fire whatsoever. I'm positive I put it in right and reconnected everything, I rechecked it four times. I'm still waiting on my dad to get home to watch for spark from the plugs. The only thing I can think of right now would bea short in one of the connections going to the distributor or the possibility that the ignition module I got is faulty.