RPO codes from VIN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Default RPO codes from VIN?

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have searched the site to find an answer to my question, but I have yet to find exactly what I am looking for. I am looking at purchasing a 1989 IROC Z28 that I saw for sale by a private owner yesterday. It has a 5-speed manual and does not have T-tops. The thought crossed my mind that I might have stumbled upon a 1LE car. I have decoded the VIN and found that it has the 305 V8 and is in fact a 1989. I actually work at a Chevrolet dealership, and I had my service manager try to pull the RPO codes from the VIN but he was unable to do so. He said that it is probably because it was made before 1990. So my question is do any of you know of a freeonline source that can pull the RPO codes from the VIN of this vehicle? I realize the probability of it being a 1LE car is very small, being that only 111 were built in that year, but I still would like to see what options are on this vehicle. If a site like this is unavailable, then I guess I will just have to look at the actual label inside the car. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:43 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: RPO codes from VIN?

GM deleted all the RPO codes with Vin Numbers over 10 years old. No way to look them up Online unless the car still has the sticker in center cconsole. Also I don't think you found a 1Le car.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the help. I finally got a hold of the lady who owns it and she said it has AC so that pretty much throws the 1LE out. I'm gonna try to meet her tonightto take a look inside of it and see if the sticker is still in the console. She claims it has 104k original miles and that everything works perfectly except that she thinks it needs some plugs and plug wires because it misses sometimes while idling.It definitely needs a paint job, but that doesn't concern me because I plan on using it for an autocross car anyway. Anythoughts of what this vehicle is worth? She is asking $4000OBO, but I think that is high based on what I have seen.

I appologize for being a"newb" and asking a bunch of questions, but I intend on becoming a regularly contributing member of the forum and I know that I know that I can get insightful answers from other members here. Thanks again in advanceto anyone who replies.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear member

on the blue book site that car with every option in prime shape is only worth 2300. from your details id say its worth about 2 grand tops.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't go with Blue Book because they way underrate Camaros. Although 4k sound a little steep. I wouldn't pay more than 3k for it depending on the condition of the vehicle, how it runs, and how much work it needs.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: blackz87

GM deleted all the RPO codes with Vin Numbers over 10 years old. No way to look them up Online unless the car still has the sticker in center cconsole. Also I don't think you found a 1Le car.
That may not be entirely true. On a few occasions I have called the dealer for rear gear ratios and suchand on a few vehicles that were older than ten years. And just days ago my brother had called a dealer to get info on an 86 Blazer and they were able to help him. All usinga vin and two different dealers.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

That may not be entirely true. On a few occasions I have called the dealer for rear gear ratios and suchand on a few vehicles that were older than ten years. And just days ago my brother had called a dealer to get info on an 86 Blazer and they were able to help him. All usinga vin and two different dealers.
Well good for you, but sometime the common guys justcan notbe as lucky as you. Just try getting that info on 3rd gen car.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Overdrive Member

Well good for you, but sometime the common guys justcan notbe as lucky as you. Just try getting that info on 3rd gen car.
hahaha...you commoners. In the imortal words of Mel Brooks in History of the world...."Its good to be the King".
Who said I did not get any info on a third gen Camaro. That has nothing to do with it. A good possibilty is that I spent a lot of money with them in my bussiness and they wanted to keep a customer and though I think wrong, but, some may not want to spend the time to help others. Or I should say, the commoners.