A Troubleshooters Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default A Troubleshooters Nightmare

Among My Other Projects I Have A 88 RS I've Been Working On. It's Symptoms Was, After Reaching Normal Running Temperature, It Would Cut Out, Sputter, Buck And Snort And Act A Fool. It Ran Fine While It Was Cold. My First Thoughts Was The Coolant Temp Sensor Was Burnt And Causing The ECU To Screw The Fuel Mixture Up. No Luck Same Symptoms. My Second Thoughts Were, The Fuel Filter Is CLogged And Its Just Taking Time For The Symptoms To Occur After Starting. No Luck Same Symptoms. Now Realizing It's Not Gonna Be Something Simple. I Had The ECU Tested. No Luck It And All It's Componets Working Perfectly. So , Since The Ignition Module Is A Seperate Entity I Had That Tested. No Luck. Now I Became Slightly Ticked Off So I Broke Out The Ohm Meter And Checked The Ignition Coil. Everything Checked Out As It Should. Convinced The Problem Had Nothing To Do With Fuel And Grasping For Straws I Changed The Plugs, Wires , Rotory, And Cap. No Luck. After Some Quiet Contemplation I Decided To Try One Last Thing. If This Didn't Work I Was Gonna Take It Out To An Empty Pasture And Put A Bullet Through The Block. SUCCESS. Any Guesses What The Problem Was?

Old 04-15-2006, 10:56 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: A Troubleshooters Nightmare

what happened to me a couple times was, i would sneak my car around the block. and when i floored it, it had power and all and ran fine, but when the secondaries open, the choke closes a little. what would happen was my chokoe would get stuck closed, and when i tried to drive the car home, it ran horrible, basically like the choke was on. check your choke and make sure its not getting stuck.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:22 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: A Troubleshooters Nightmare

Good Guess With The Choke But The Culprit Turned Out To Be Our Old Friend The Pickup Coil. After Close Inspection The Ground Wire Was Slightly Burned. Just Enough To Make It Loose Ground When It Heated Up. Hope This Info Helps Someone. It Was A Pain In My Side For The Better Part Of A Week. Sick