Tired of my 86 iroc-z

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Default Tired of my 86 iroc-z

I had an 88 iroc-z with some body damage, but man it ran like a dream. I sold it because of the body damage, and bought my cousins 86 iroc-z that has a near perfect body.

Regreated it ever since

first the temperature sensor goes out, so I have a guy run the negative for the relay to the body so the fan starts every time the key is turned on.

then I put aobut 20 miles on the car and sure enough it dead stalls on me going down the highway from work.....

I have the same guy look at it, he replaces the fuel pump, distributor, plugs, gives it an oil change, and did something else tha ti can\t remember.

anyways I work night shift, I get home at 5 am, he tells me I can pick the car up at 8, I stay awake and go get it/

takes forevvvver to get it to start, I knew right there I was screwed, so I get going down the highway, get her up to 80, one of the loovers rips aparts and flies away

I put a smile on my face, and keep going, **** it, this day already sucks

get into my small country town and the RPM's start floppin around, it dies, I toss it into netural, throw it in to drive, touch the gas, RPM's flop it dies, etc...

I figure bad gas, it had a lil under 1/4 tank, I put super in it after babying it to the gas station.

doesn't help any, I hate this car with all my anger and hate, I want to kill it, badly

so which sensor does it osund like, should I say screw it all and by every sensor for it, total comes to 450 bucks, we did it the red camero, just before I bought it, I will kick myself in the *** till I doe for buying this yellow one from my cousin [:@]

man I regreat ever getting this piece of ****

moral of this story, never buy NOTHING from a family meember, specially a uncle that never speaks to you unless you have cash

any help is much appreciated, I just wanna drive it around befor ewinter, but I guess I ain't that luckey

Old 11-04-2005, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Tired of my 86 iroc-z

atleast its not a 2.8, then ud be tired of it and not be able to get up and go

my suggestion, take it to a different shop. see if they find something different
if u replace all the sensors, do it gradually, starting w/ the cheapest. if u replace the problem w/ a cheaper one u wont have to worry about buying one of the more expensive ones
maybe just a good tunning would help
possibly new injectors if its tpi

hope u find the problem and get it fixed, sux havin a car u cant drive

if u decide u dont want it nemore, ill be more than happy to take it off ur hands for u

Old 11-04-2005, 05:29 PM

toss me an offer

if I was rich you could have the thing for free, but I work in at a factory

yeah all I wanna do is cruise, that's it

I am guessing the mass air flow sensor?

everytime you wanna start the thing, you gotta shoot starting fluid in it. No choice either, I know it's bad for it, but damn what's the pont in leaving it sit if u can get it to start

it did run fine except for the starting fluid crap, now all of a sudden, this car completely sucks ***. Yeah also, when you romp on the gas pedal and take the RPM's to 4,000 or higher, soon as you let off the motor makes a clicking, banging noise. Then when we to get the car, I had the end of the TPI up to spray fluid in it to get it home. My dad (not the brighest dude around) goes to put the TPI end back on, and punches a hole through the screen of the mass air flow sensor.

LMAO then I go to step out of my room after sleepin for 4 hours, dog ****s in front of my door.

wow this day has been the best day in my life, lets go to auto zone and see what else is going to happen to me. After this I am going to the bars in my 91 silverado long bed, at least this truck runs WAY better then this car 110% of the time.

edit- forgot to post this, if you start the car, IF you start the car and mamange to get it keep running, after a couple minutes, it ideals fine forever, no problem. If you leave in the car, it drives fine for a few minutes, then craps out, and will do so until you get it home.

Fuel relay? Dirty injectors, bad MAF??

come on someone has to read this and go "oh my camaro did the same thing"3

Old 12-24-2005, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

the big problem is whoever had it before you probably did the same thing to the engine. the lowdown, its addicted ether and other starting fluids for engines are like crack to a druggie. if you use it to much it wont work without it. suggestion is save up a few hundred bucks, start lookin around and change the engine out. also buy yourself a haynes manual, screw taking it to a shop, do it yourself and save some money. the haynes for 3rd gen camaros will tell you pretty much how to tear down the whole car and re do it yourself, its what i had to do. saved me a bundle.

Old 12-25-2005, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear member

my advice is to lose the junker. trust me, you will be throwing your money away. one things going to break, you get it new, then somethin else will go. try to get it runnin as good as possible, sell it, and save up for whatever you want. another option is to say fk it and buy a brand new crate 350 for 1600 bucks, complete cost like 2200. ill give you the link. this motor will slide right in, and bolt right to your tranny. instead of throwin away money over and over again, spend one last chunk, and have it run fro another 100,000.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0763&langId=-1