Strange Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Strange Mount

Hm. That was my first guess.

ButI don't think I'll ever figure out how on earth you're supposed to reach the engine mount nuts.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

My dad had two manual 3rd gens and the shifters did not move. You may have weak or broken motor mount(s). The torque arm should not cause that because your motor and trans will hold it in place.
So I guess I should check my mounts too. I have driven a lot of manual transmission cars, and except for the 89 Prelude I had with cables instead of linkage, all of them move a little. If you have stock motor mounts, there has to be a little movement. Maybe not a quarter of an inch, but there will be some.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Overdrive Member

Yes it would have some movemnet but nothing where its jerking the stick around and I don't think it would jump 1/4". His cars were also new. By the time the second registration would come up he would trade it in so they would only be two years old and low miles as he had a work truck he also took home.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

Yes it would have some movemnet but nothing where its jerking the stick around and I don't think it would jump 1/4". His cars were also new. By the time the second registration would come up he would trade it in so they would only be two years old and low miles as he had a work truck he also took home.
Agreed. The shifter shouldn't be jerking around. I missed that the first timeI read his post. I can see itmoving that muchif he is in 1st gear and getting on and offthe throttle quickly, but not in normal driving. If the motor mountswere new then obviously there will be less movement, like your dad saw.

ORIGINAL: camarohelp
ButI don't think I'll ever figure out how on earth you're supposed to reach the engine mount nuts.
I may be wrong here, but aren't the nuts attached to the mount?Do the nuts spin when you turn the bolt? It's been years since I changed one, but I think I remember the nuts were spot welded to the mount.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

According to both Haynes, the nut should be removable. Plus the new mounts don't come with either bolts or nuts.