Squeeks driving me crazy!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Squeeks driving me crazy!!

I need some help guys. I installed a aftermarket front sway bar with the poly urethane bushings and i know there supposed to be greased, and oh i grease them, i dont have the zerks on the frame brackets, so today i pulled the brackets off and greased them but good with synectic grease, and i think there actually worse. So my question can i and should i just use the rubber bushings with that bar. or would it defeat the purpose, Thanks for any help.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Squeeks driving me crazy!!

I don't think it would defeat the purpose. I had a big sway bar off a GTA and I used the greasable bushings. They worked out fine. Are you sure you don't maybe have a backing plate hitting the control arm? Did your bushings fit tight?

Old 06-24-2007, 08:55 AM
1st Gear Member

This bar also came off a GTA Mike, and now that you mention it! i noticed when i was greasing the bushings that the drivers bumpstop on the lower control arm! was sliced in two. Now it does need some steering components, especially the center drag, grabbing the tire, and rocking it back and forth, gets alot of slop, at the joint (Idler arm to center link) but it has new good gas struts upfront. It seems as if it,s underload or binding? used to just squeek over speedbumps, now squeeks when the brakes are applied and the nose drops.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Overdrive Member

The reason I asked about the backing plates hitting the control arm is because on was doing that on my mom's S10 recently. It made kind of a high pitch squeek going over bumps and while braking because it would do it under any slight movment.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

What backing plates? Now i do see a shiny vertical piece of metal on the frame, just above the sway bar, that is probably the culprit. Now i have new gas shocks on the rear too, and she was hitting the bumpstops going over speedbumps so i replaced the rear coils, with a pair off a 91 rs @ pull-a-part and the springs off the donor car were 1inch or better taller, now she dont hit no more but squeeks and groans from the rear as well. Now this car sat outside for 5 years, and has only been on the road alittle over a year, and I,ve greased everything that moves, so the front coils are flat too probably. The funny thing is Mike i cant repeat the sound by rocking the car up and down, only when im driving it. I think i need a drink. Thanks for all your help Mike, I trust your advice. talk to ya later, Dennis.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Overdrive Member

A shiny area like the sway bar end link is hitting it??? I have that that causes a bit of a thud. But mine was in an accident when the previuous owner had it and the body shop must have been full of hacks! Its still bent in that area.
The backing plates I am talking about are the part behind the brake rotors. You see them when you pull the rotors off. If they are bent a little they will contact the lower control arm near the ball joint. There is very little space between the two.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll take a look and see thanks Mike. So the aftermarket sway off the GTA you had, did you remove it? and if so was it because of the noise or something else? . Lastly did you get the e-mail i sent you about fbodymotorsports? . Again Mike thanks for all your help ttyl .

Old 06-24-2007, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Squeeks driving me crazy!! here's a couple pics

The backing plates look fine! i just snapped a couple pics, the metal im refering too is just above the sway mount bracket.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4539/718A0A9FD78D42298979FF9AF943F3EE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4539/2D35CB9F537546D39B7C0B78168CF4C2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4539/6883488285104D79BBB2B5096047D21F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4539/5298628869AF49BA8F92382344A89723.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Overdrive Member

I don't think the sway bar is hitting where that mark is. The GTA sway bar I had put on my 84 and I wrecked that car and just did not care to swap it onto my 91.
Yes I got the link to the site. I have seen that one before. Thanks though

Old 06-25-2007, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Your welcome and thank you for all your knowledge about camaro's and cars in general. Did you see that 92 rs on that site under customer renovations pics, (re: engine swap from 305tbi to the LS1 with nos and the six speed auto) Sweet car. Anyway i was thinking is it possible i have the end links wrenched down too tight?

Quick Reply: Squeeks driving me crazy!!