sluggish response

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:08 AM
Default sluggish response

just bought a 84 z28. its sat for three years but starts right up and idles fine. heres what was replaced or rebuilt before t was parked..

"im copying this from the repair sheet included with the car that was made by the machine shop"

R+R 305 + transmission dissasemble and reasemble engine and trans
valve job on cylinder heads
polish crankshaft
press pistons
install cambearing freeze plugs
clean complete engine

MATERIALS USED
sto pistons
moly rings
camshaft
lifters
full gasket set
timing set
oil pump
main bearings
kod bearings
transmission rebuild kit
all fluids
edelbrock intake
ratchet shifter

and gauges

the mechanic has the worst handwriting ive ever seen...everything he wrote looks like a doctors signature so some stuff may be wrong simply cuz i cant read it...there also a few things left out simply because its just un readable

anyways 84 z28 with above work dont before put in storage and fiberglass hood for 1500

actually i traded the honda we have sitting for economic travel plus 200 bucks

now the car has a 305 and i was assuming it would have some *** behind it but low and behold it is rather sluggish all around....you have to understand im new to chevy ive been religiously stuck on JEEPS for years and needed a change and have never owned anything larged then the jeep 4.0 inline six.

is this just a naturally sluggish engine or is there something i need to do sence its been sitting so long that will bring some pep back into this car.

NOT looking to supercharge this car..........ever

Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: sluggish response

305's are a sluggish motor, in my opinion i dont think they are worth building for serious hp. go out and buy a 350 or 400 small block and drop in the camaro and youll notice a good difference.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:26 PM

will all the additional stuff from my 305 fit on the 350

tranny, motor mounts, etc

or if i were to buy a crate engine...say off edelbrock would everything be ready to just drop in and go

Old 11-14-2006, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

first off the 305 is a slugish motor check some of my post an you'll see about some of the problems i've had with it. I my self wondered the same thng bout the 350 swap. The 305 stuff will bolt up. what i did was, i took a 350 block i had laying around that was still good an took the heads off and sent them out to get machined then i replace all the gaskets all around. reasembled the block an heads with the 305 intake manifold an throtle body. (money was scarce) the only thing that you will need to replace that you cant reuse is the fly wheel (flex plate) the 305 is a 12.8 but it is not weighted. the 350 requires a weighted one. Auto Zone has them for 38.00. But make sure that you get the 12.8 one cause when they look it up on there computer it will so a 14.3 for some reason so bring a tape messure with you. also some 350 dont have all the sensor that the 305 harness have. But the good thing is the holes are in the bloc but useally pluged with a allen screw. so you will have to transfer them over. but other than that,..... thats about it. if you have any question feel free to ask. I just completed this swap my self the other day so everything is still fresh.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 AM
2nd Gear member

Does it seem like it does better when you don't floor it than when you do?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:25 AM
3rd Gear Member

The 305 and 350 are basically the same except for the bore size. Because of the smaller cubic inches, the cylinder heads have smaller combustion chambers to keep the compression up. So, everything will work from the 305 except the block, pistons and heads. Just about every other part is, for the most part, interchangable.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Overdrive Member

What do you consider slugish???. It is not a Corvette mind you. I happened to beat a 69 Chevelle with my 84 at the wednesday night drags. If fact I eleminated every one and took home a trophy. You could do little things like since you have an intake put on an exhaust, headers and flowmaster. Change the metering rods to AH with a G hanger. Make sure the carb and timing are adjusted.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

every thing is interchangeable but remember you will need to get a differnet fly wheel.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

Hey Josh, I know exactly what you mean.

I have an old 305 in my 82. Its got an aftermarket intake and carb. I bought the car with little experience about this engine. (My last V8 was a 1979 Plymouth Volare!!) The first time I tuned it up and 'romped on it' I said "What the hell, my SUV has more ***** than this." [:@] I then added headers and true dual exhaust. THAT woke the car up[&:], but only to 'acceptable' levels. Yes, you can work a 305 to make huge HP. Ask Sick about that. But, like the most of us with a 305, if you want substantially more power your just gonna have to upgrade to a 350. I plan on putting one in this spring. Trust me, Im as dissapointed as you are.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:42 PM

sluggish as in my co workers stock 87 honda whooped that a$$
and so does my inline 6 wrangler
2000 mercury mountaineer
93 ford taurus lol

it goes on

thanks for the help yalls im talking to my boss about a block, and im releived most of the parts are interchangable

Quick Reply: sluggish response